• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to completely back up everything on phone

My Android phone has 16 GB internal memory, of which 15.97|GB is used, and a 32GB SD card, of which 1.62GB is used. The phone has recently stopped doing many of the things that it has always done satisfactorily (e.g. read e-mail, and allow me to see and edit SimpleNote notes), and it won't let me install any more apps. I have moved all the apps that allow me to do so to the SD card, and all the files that I am allowed to move to SD card, but this still hasn't created enough room in memory. I guess (but don't know for sure) that the problems I am experiencing are due to lack of memory, which is a bit silly since the SD card has masses of spare space. I have found some instructions telling me how to configure the phone so that it uses the SD card as main memory, but before I try this, I need to be able to back up the complete phone, apps, files, e-mail messages, texts, SimpleNote notes, Roboform logins etc., so that if something goes wrong I've not lost everything, and if the upgrade works successfully I can reinstall all the apps that I need and restore all their accounts and files. Does anyone know the best way to do this, given that I can't install any new apps?

Thank you - Rowan

My Android phone has 16 GB internal memory, of which 15.97|GB is used, and a 32GB SD card, of which 1.62GB is used. The phone has recently stopped doing many of the things that it has always done satisfactorily (e.g. read e-mail, and allow me to see and edit SimpleNote notes), and it won't let me install any more apps. I have moved all the apps that allow me to do so to the SD card, and all the files that I am allowed to move to SD card, but this still hasn't created enough room in memory. I guess (but don't know for sure) that the problems I am experiencing are due to lack of memory, which is a bit silly since the SD card has masses of spare space. I have found some instructions telling me how to configure the phone so that it uses the SD card as main memory, but before I try this, I need to be able to back up the complete phone, apps, files, e-mail messages, texts, SimpleNote notes, Roboform logins etc., so that if something goes wrong I've not lost everything, and if the upgrade works successfully I can reinstall all the apps that I need and restore all their accounts and files. Does anyone know the best way to do this, given that I can't install any new apps?

Thank you - Rowan
what phone do you have? 16gig of storage is not much these days. almost half of that is for the android os......so i'm not surprised you are having this issue. some phones, but not all will have an option to format the sd card as internal. without doing this moving apps to the sd card only moves a small portion of the app to the card. but setting your sd card as internal will not factory wipe the phone. it will delete anything stored on the sd card. so backup any files you have. you should not lose data by doing so......so there really is no need to do a complete backup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can I just use an external hard driver and connect it to the PC?
this does not help the op with saving room on the phone. yes you can backup your sd card to whatever hard drive you want. but you can't completely backup a phone to a hard drive. a complete backup of the phone can only be done if the phone is rooted and using a custom recovery to make a nandroid backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones