• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Edward Snowden: Traitor or Hero?

Interesting, even if published by the media, it is still classified, therefore one can't discuss. Welcome to 1984.

Members of Congress denied access to basic information about NSA | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | theguardian.com

"In early July, Grayson had staffers distribute to House members several slides published by the Guardian about NSA programs as part of Grayson's efforts to trigger debate in Congress. But, according to one staff member, Grayson's office was quickly told by the House Intelligence Committee that those slides were still classified, despite having been published and discussed in the media, and directed Grayson to cease distribution or discussion of those materials in the House, warning that he could face sanctions if he continued."

Similar thing happened over here with the Ryan giggs affair and a few other things....can't remember what one it was for, but I know someone mentioned it in parliament as it meant papers could then report on it. Even more stupid, especially with the Ryan giggs story,a paper based in Scotland were able to mention it, while Scottish papers with a base in England couldn't!

Upvote 0
The treatment of David Miranda just to get back at Glenn Greenwald for reporting on the leaks by Edward Snowden may have backfired.

David Miranda detention: a betrayal of trust and principle | Editorial | Comment is free | The Guardian

"Because of schedule 7's troubling history, parliament already has both a chance and a responsibility to prove otherwise. Schedule 7 should be radically tightened, so that exceptional powers are applied only in genuinely exceptional terror-related cases. Detentions should require reasonable suspicion. Confiscated materials should be returned quickly, where no charge is brought or national security involved, as fingerprints and DNA samples now are. Access to a lawyer should be allowed. If parliament rises to the occasion, perhaps some good may have come from what is otherwise a disgraceful episode of state harassment of independent journalism and free citizens."

Upvote 0
Fair enough.

I suppose all the people on Youtube who post videos of incidences of police abuse of power or brutality should all be prosecuted too, then, so let's start on taht, since many states have laws against recording people on duty.

EDIT: Also, forgot. The US founding fathers were criminals, too, by British standards. Therefore, they can not be considered heroes.

Upvote 0
EDIT: Also, forgot. The US founding fathers were criminals, too, by British standards. Therefore, they can not be considered heroes.

If you're putting together a list of people who cannot be considered hero's... we could add Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Jesus Christ, The Rolling Stones, Batman, Rosa Parks, 'That Russian pop group that ends in Riot', Muhammad Ali, Martha Stewart, Errol flynn, Robin Hood....

Upvote 0
which brings me back to my original statement on the topic:

he cannot be a hero without being a traitor

it all depends on your agenda

if what he did hurts your agenda then call him traitor

if what he did helps your agenda then call him hero

but he cannot be one without the other

Put like that, then yes, I agree

Upvote 0
Snowden & Assange are irrelevant, I didn't trust the governments before they piped up, if they are that much of a concern to western governments, they would be dead by now. I don't buy it. We were told how governments could & would snoop on our communications YEARS ago, on mainstream news TV. Why is it such an uproar now?

Collateral Murder? Did Vietnam not happen? The British Raj? Atrocities are happening at all times, not just to people, but to animals as well.

Upvote 0
Collateral Murder? Did Vietnam not happen? The British Raj? Atrocities are happening at all times, not just to people, but to animals as well.

Which is why its really good that we find out about it...

Imagine if anyone who released information about the East India Company was locked up in the Tower of London, or if any Journalists who didn't report the official line from US government and reported on the Tet offensive were shot as traitors....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones