• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Email Workaround for great funtionality

so im running gmail now with the verizon account in there, its missed a couple emails though and i dont see them in the spam folder even though they were pretty much kinda spam???????????

Did you apply any filters that would make them go directly into another folder. I have had no problems yet. But I have read the Gmail has great spam ability, could it completely get rid of something dangerous? :eek:

Upvote 0
so i found out that when i went into the pop settings for my verizon account in the gmail webmail that....i had to click check my mail for it to update and give m my new emails that i was missing before, it looks like it checks every 30mins to an hour, that doesnt make any sense?

Mine says checks 30 min as well but I have been getting mail every few minutes, don't worry! :D

Upvote 0
yeah i cant have it like this can you help?

Check mail using POP3:demarco575@verizon.net

Last checked: 8 minutes ago.134 mails fetched.View history Check mail now edit info delete

Add POP3 email account Learn more

It takes a while for all your old emails to arrive at Gmail. But you will see all new emails very quickly. Again my new emails arrive every few minutes.

Upvote 0
yeah your right but since its really not PUSHING to your phone its kind of the same as the regular email app, every 5 mins youll get your emails.......so what is the benefits of using this gmail app then? not tryin to be rude just wanted to see the reasons

If you look in the setting on your Droid for Gmail there are no setting for sync timing, that's why I think it is being pushed. It seems to be spontaneous when you hear the notifications on your desktop and get the Droid notification. The other advantages are:

1) All your mail in one spot with small email tags identifying what account they are from.

2) Signatures for your outgoing mail with the Gmail app.

3) You can file all your emails by labels (folders).

4) You can search all your mail.

5) You can filter your mail so it goes directly in the labels (folders).

6) If you have an attachment in an email, you can save a bookmark for the Gmail website on your home screen and you can go there and download the attachment to your Droid. Works great!

7) At all times you have access to all email on the Gmail website mirrored on your droid.

8) You can also accept appointments created with Outlook through the web side app accessible from your phone.

Upvote 0
Here is Google's privacy policy:

About Gmail

I do not think they want the wrath of millions by violating it!

It would be nice if i was guaranteed that...but the way things are in the corporate world and the greed that has spread to epidemic proportions...I just do not trust....I agree with the other thread not wanting google to be sitting next to me all the time....

Upvote 0
Mail Fetcher?

Nice find for getting pop3 accounts to work on the better mail app.

But for me, its enough that google knows my telephone number, location 24/7, contacts' names/numbers/addresses, my browsing and online shopping habits, files on my phone, and lord knows what else, without them having my email sitting on their servers.

I agree...What is the best way to set up so google only has what i want them to have?
I am trying to figure out how to stop the synching on my Samsung Moment so that google does not get everything. I hope i did not make a mistake by going from my palm treo to android....
I am thinking of turning in my samsung moment and looking at windows devices like the HTC pro 2 or blackberry Tour or the new ( might not be out yet) blackberry touch screen with slide out keyboard.
I have not been happy with android calender and contacts...too much lag between entries and too many steps to do anything and poor search functions....makes it not too productive...thank you all and have a great thanksgiving.

Upvote 0
I have setup all my pop3 accounts through Gmail. The advantages are:

1) All your mail in one spot with small email tags identifying what account they are from.

2) Signatures for your outgoing mail with the Gmail app.

3) You can file all your emails by labels (folders).

4) You can search all your mail.

5) You can filter your mail so it goes directly in the labels (folders).

6) If you have an attachment in an email, you can save a bookmark for the Gmail website on your home screen and you can go there and download the attachment to your Droid. Works great!

7) At all times you have access to all email on the Gmail website mirrored on your droid.

8) You can also accept appointments created with Outlook through the web side app accessible from your phone.

All the functionality of a Blackberry with better website functionality. I am really starting to get the functionality Google meant in the Droid!
Cool thanks...I have added my other Gmail address to my main Gmail account. Is it possible though to be able to choose which account you want to send a message from or do you have to be logged into that particular Gmail account which would be a bit of a pain?

Upvote 0
Cool thanks...I have added my other Gmail address to my main Gmail account. Is it possible though to be able to choose which account you want to send a message from or do you have to be logged into that particular Gmail account which would be a bit of a pain?

You tell settings to reply to where it was sent or to send all mail by a default account.

Upvote 0
The gmail app is checking your pop3 email and then pushing it to your phone. The problem is you need to get a lot of email for it to keep checking often.

If gmail checks your pop3 account and finds an email it will recheck it fairly soon (not sure what the time is) but if it doesn't find any it will not check again for 30 min.

It does work great, just don't expect to get your pop3 email fast. I just forwarded my pop3 address to my gmail address, then I set gmail to respond using my pop3 address, it's really fast that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones