• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Emergency Calls Only

Tyson Foulger

Mar 26, 2018
Anyone know how to get rid of this? I tried turning flight (airplane) mode on and back off again and it worked until the cell signal is lost and when it comes back (I'm in cell range) is is back to emergency calls only. Sometimes it doesn't say that but my carrier instead which is good.

^This. "Emergency calls only" means that your phone is connected to a network which your carrier has no roaming agreement with, which usually means another network in your home country. This happens when it loses contact with your home network and cannot re-establish it.

So if you are getting this at home it suggests that your home is a blackspot for your carrier. If you are new to this carrier then maybe you should see whether you can still terminate the contact and sign up with someone else? If it was working OK and has suddenly started doing this I would call your carrier and find out whether there have been any changes or faults in your area, e.g. if the cell that previously covered your house has a problem.

Upvote 0
Great thanks! I do have another question. Well, here's the story...

I updated my Galaxy S7 to Samsung experience 9.0 and Android Oreo 8.0.0 and I am now having problems with texting, I can't send them as they fail to send. I hear lots of people have this problem and it is due to the update to oreo. I want to go back to Nougat. There are backup files in google drive from before the update and I want to use them to restore them and go back to Nougat but don't know how to download them or use them. My phone wants to use the backup files from my Samsung account from after the update. I don't know how to get to the back up files on Google Drive and use them to backup my phone.

So... does anyone know how the download the backup files from Google Drive and use them?

Upvote 0
Those files on Google drive are only going to be your personal data and app data. It won't be a complete system backup of a previous version of the Phone's OS. If it's possible at all to revert your S7 to Nougat, you will have to flash the phone's firmware using Odin. But, as I stated, I don't know if it's even possible.

As for your texting problem, it could very well be that your first problem and your second problem are related. 'Emergency Calls Only' as explained means that your phone is having trouble communicating with your carrier network. This would also prevent SMS messages from sending since they are also handled by your carrier.

Three things come to mind. First, that you are in an area where you simply can't communicate with your carrier network or secondly, your SIM card needs to be replaced. The other thing might be a suspended, disabled or misconfigured account. If you are sure the account is up-to-date payment wise and you haven't reached some limit, then you might want to contact the carrier for a replacement SIM.

Upvote 0
As for your texting problem, it could very well be that your first problem and your second problem are related. 'Emergency Calls Only' as explained means that your phone is having trouble communicating with your carrier network. This would also prevent SMS messages from sending since they are also handled by your carrier.
No it has nothing to do with the first problem. I already thought of that and it's not.

Upvote 0
Are you sure? Any phone that's showing "Emergency Calls Only" won't be able to send SMS messages.
I know. But even when I do have connection and it says my provider, they fail to send. Like I said before, It's a problem with this version and I want to go back to nougat. I will just have to flash the old firmware on it. I will do lots a research before I do it and make sure I am confident.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones