• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Emulator?

The android sdk has an emulator. You can follow a guide such as this to get it set up. Once it's set up, you can google "android emulator" or something like that for specific instructions on how to start it.

That being said, I *highly* doubt there is any way to load a nandroid backup with the emulator. You've got a completely different format, with a group of files that were meant to be restored in recovery, not loaded in an emulator. I *have* heard of people loading custom ROMs in the emulator before, but not like that. If you have *that* many backups, I can look into it, but don't expect too much.

Upvote 0
Interesting. It's similar to how I've seen custom ROMs run in the emulator before. I suppose it would work, but you'd only have the base ROM itself. I guess that's good enough to figure out what the backup is. I'll tell you what, go ahead and get the emulator set up, and I'll mess around with getting a backup to load in the emulator tonight. Maybe the two of us can figure it out.

Reactions: stevcha
Upvote 0
The more the merrier :). First, those are old instructions. The emulator has had quite an overhall since then. Second, I *think* you'd just need to drop the system.img in the directory for android 2.2. The directory is called android-8 under platforms. I don't think you need to make any config changes now. I couldn't find a config.ini. You should probably backup the existing system.img, first, or copy the whole android-8 folder, first.

In any case, this does not work right off the bat. My guess - this thing is expecting AOSP, and doesn't know what to do with Sense. If somebody has a CM backup on hand, try using that system.img. I wonder if we can get it to work with Sense.

EDIT: Let me give some more details - I replaced the system.img for android 2.2, created a new AVD, then started it. It sat at the loading screen forever. That's as far as I've gotten. Note that it's a backup of a Sense ROM (an old CW backup I found on my computer; who knows what ROM). My guess is this will work with a CM backup.

Upvote 0
When you make a nandroid backup, you get an img file for every partition you backed up. Since you back up the system partition (your rom) you get a system.img. If you go look in the android-sdk-windows\platforms\android-8\images folder, you'll see the images the emulator is loading. It has ramdisk.img, system.img, and userdata.img. The instructions say to take the system.img from your backup, and replace the system.img in the AVD folder (platforms\android-8\images) with that it. That does not work right now. I think it doesn't work because this thing wasn't designed to load an image that includes a Sense ROM. Plus there's the fact that the kernel is in a boot.img, not with the system, so who knows what it's using in its place. This might be harder than it's worth to get working. I'll see if I can find anything else out.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have similar issue. I have HTC PG7621( Wildfire S - android 2.3.4 and kernel version 2.6.35.10).
I was pull file from above phone. I got system.img, boot.img, recovery.img , userdata.img, ...etc. And also i extracted boot.img file. After extracted boot img file, I got boot.img, ramdisk.img, kernel-qemu

I tried to find resolve this issue. But i couldn't.

I created HTC_762 folder( c\... x86\android\android-sdk\platforms\)and copy all the from android-10 and paste HTC_762. Replace my system .img and userdata.img exciting same file names. also tried like create new .avd and change .confg file(path of the platform which is HTC_762). then i started emulator it boot with yellow screen.

Please any one know hot to run device specific imge file on sdk pleas guide me, I really appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones