• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Enable hotspot in unlocked phone

artbytes

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011
We recently unlocked a Galaxy Note 2 from ATT. It is a phone that we just replaced, so this one has no valid SIM in it at present. Our plan does not allow using the phone as a mobile WIFI unit, so that option had been turned off. However, we want to take the phone on a trip to Europe. I want to get a SIM there so that I can use it both as a hot spot and for phone calls.

I unlocked the phone using a valid T-Mobile data only card that is from my mobile wifi device. The phone unlocked successfully. When I boot the phone it says, t-Mobile. However, when I try to turn mobile hotspot on, it says that mobile data is not available or invalid SIM. I did check to be sure that the T-mobile APN is turned on. There is a chance that all of the settings aren't correct.

Does anyone know what I should do to be sure that I can turn on the mobile hotspot in Europe? I'm not sure what is preventing that now.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones