• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Group MMS Not Sending

Shdynasty

Lurker
Jun 23, 2023
Hi Everyone,

Over the last couple months I've noticed an ongoing issue with Android Messages. Messages being sent to a group will not be delivered unless wifi is shut off. Receiving messages works fine though.

I have rebooted, cleared the cache/data from Messages, ensured wifi calling is on and set to wifi preferred, installed other messaging apps/used Samsung's default messaging app, turned 5G on and off, reset the APN settings to default, created a new APN, ensured auto downloading of messages is on, ensured the apps are always up to date and even factory reset the phone. Is there something I missed? No matter what I try the messages to a group don't send. I've also been told that duplicate messages of mine are received, however the message says it is undelivered on my end. Any advice you all may have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G through T-Mobile
Android 13
One UI 5.1
Security Patch June 1, 2023

Maybe because MMS uses mobile data and your phone isn't smart enough to use that when connected to WiFi? It's just a theory, but MMS does use mobile data, so if it works with WiFi off but not on then that's a possible explanation.

(Single messages are probably sent as SMS, unless you are attaching the low-res photos that are all that MMS allows, and SMS uses a different system and works perfectly well even if both data and WiFi are off).

Upvote 0
Maybe because MMS uses mobile data and your phone isn't smart enough to use that when connected to WiFi? It's just a theory, but MMS does use mobile data, so if it works with WiFi off but not on then that's a possible explanation.

(Single messages are probably sent as SMS, unless you are attaching the low-res photos that are all that MMS allows, and SMS uses a different system and works perfectly well even if both data and WiFi are off).
With that being said, does that theory make wifi calling obsolete for Group MMS messages?

Upvote 0
I've never used WiFi calling with MMS, because WiFi calling didn't even exist when I last used MMS.

(In the UK many providers continued to treat MMS as a premium service, and charge accordingly, even after SMS had become effectively free. Hence it was never popular, and with WhatsApp, Signal etc being more competent and free MMS usage here just died).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones