1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Enabling dock mode....without a dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhat3k1, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    Sales
    Denver
    I was looking at the programs that were running on y phone, and I noticed one called "dock mode". I clicked on it, selected switch to, and a really sweet dock mode appeared.

It has photo frame, connected media, and calendar quick shortcuts along with the weather background, and a nice weather widget in the top right corner.

If this is already common knowledge.......sorry, if not.....Enjoy!

Advertisement

2. gohausmachine

gohausmachine Well-Known Member
    None

I think this is a Sense feature. It's on the MT4G and my wife uses that for her alarm. It's a pretty handy and nicely polished tool though isn't it?

3. behold_this

behold_this Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    You can put a shortcut to it on the lock screen too

4. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Its an "Android" feature, available on most any phone. If not readily available, a shortcut can be created via an app such as Any Cut.

5. gohausmachine

None

I know there's a car dock in the AOSP Android ROMs since 2.2 I believe but I don't think the desk dock is an Android app. I could be wrong though. I don't use it myself so it gets ignored by me I suppose.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    FWIW, I used Any Cut to create a shortcut to the "desktop dock" on the Droid 1, on the week that it came out.

7. gohausmachine

None

Ok my bad. Like I said I never use it so it goes mainly ignored by me. I suppose since I have no need for a desk dock since I have no desk lol. That's what I get for working in a restaurant :)

8. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Its all good...the Sense 3.0 dock is "pretty" as you have the "flying through the clouds" animation. I use it at night for an alarm clock (hotels?), and usually streaming IbizaSonica.com, while the screen is "dimmed".

9. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Android Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010
    Female
    Overland Park, KS
    Is there a way to put a shortcut to this dock w/o downloading another app? I saw this as a lock screen icon option but couldn't find it when scrolling through the apps. On the MT4G at least it gave you the option to put the desk dock & car dock modes on your home screen by selecting applications. Does the Sensation have a stock car dock mode?

10. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Unless you know how to create shortcuts within the OS, I don't know of any other way. Any Cut or Better Cut are "safe", and don't take up resources, if that's your concern. All it does is "create shortcuts"...it does not run in parallel with the opened app.

Car dock mode looks to be in there, but I can't get it to run. I can get to the settings page but its "grayed out". I don't use that mode, but I'll see if Launcher Pro can get it opened.

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    So, I like the dock mode, but half of the reason I would use it is for a night clock. (The other half would be on my desk at work.) Considering, though, that the original HTC EVO 3D desk dock mode does not get very dim, it isn't very good for that purpose. I have been trying the Desk Clock Plus app, and I like that one except the buttons (Home, Menu, Back, and Search) do not shut off when it goes into its night mode. The one other thing I would very much like, is since I use Sleepmeter to record how much I sleep, I would need to tap its widget before putting the phone in the dock, and I often put the phone in the dock as I am getting ready for bed, so that wouldn't be ideal, either.

Speaking of ideal, the ideal would be to have a simple "Dock Launcher" program that kicks in when the phone is placed in the dock. It would need to be able to run widgets, as well as contain shortcuts for other programs. It would also be triggered by entering the phone being docked (entering dock mode), and terminated (both the dock launcher and any apps triggered within it) by removing the phone from the dock.

Anyone know of anything like this? (Unfortunately, I am not much of a programmer, so as much as I would love to just sit down and write something, it just isn't in the cards for me to do...)

Paul_R

12. kgng100

kgng100 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    This dock mode does look great. Is there a way to get the dock mode to appear on my HTC desire S when the phone locks? I can't seem to do this.

13. stev32k

stev32k Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    I don't seem to be able to turn on the dock mode. It is not listed under apps. I can see it if I go into manage apps, but I can't find a way to enable it. I must not have something set-up right. Any suggestions?

14. pantlesspenguin

pantlesspenguin Android Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010
    Female
    Overland Park, KS
    Scroll up and see colnago's response to me :).

15. Jacobishertohelp

None

I donno, been looking for an an answer for this too. Found the docked mode settings, but nothing about how to enable it :0