• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic GPS - does yours work or not?

Epic GPS - does yours work or not?

• Yes - works just fine

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • No - I can't believe it

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Dunno - need more time to test it

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
yah that's because you were indoors lol :p
try outside like if you were in a car with "use wireless networks" unchecked and let us know if you don't mind.

Sorry, but you are simply wrong here -- any phone that has satellite GPS should work fine indoors, provided you are talking about your typical American house made of wood, drywall, insulation, and shingles. I've had half a dozen such phones and all worked fine inside such a house.

Will they work in a concrete and steel building with a thick roof? Probably not. A parking garage? No. A subway? No. But in what most of us call a house, they should work fine.

If yours doesn't, then the phone is having problems.

Upvote 0
I would consider mine working.

Here's a gps test I just did a minute ago inside my house. I had better SNR numbers when I was outside. Not really sure what to make of that 98 foot accuracy thing.

snap20100901_223025.png

Here's My Tracks mapping sample during highway driving

Track 3 - Google Maps

Well that's neat -- how'd you do that? :)

I've noticed that mine "works", but not very well, which seems to match the reports here from most people -- it's just not getting good accuracy.

I would love to do make a track as you have -- I think that would show the problem more clearly, because the inaccuracy of the phone's reading in my case means that when I'm driving down the road, the "location" hops from one street to another and back again several times per minute. While a human looking at it would be smart enough to zoom out and just eyeball the location, it makes the "Navigation" features pretty useless -- you'll be driving down the street and all of a sudden it recalculates your position and tells you to turn around or, worse, to turn left/right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones