• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic hardware keyboard input problem

I'm using my wifes Epic to type this which I just bought for her yesterday. So far it looks like her keyboard is noticeably better than mine. It hasn't missed a key yet in this message. My Epic I've had since October 2010. Wonder if newer hardware has been improved? Or will this phone start acting the same after more use?

Upvote 0
For what it's worth I have found disabling the auto cap, auto punctualization and auto replace under the device keyboard does help. Also disabling swipe helps as well. it's not missing anywhere near as may keys now and I think has for the most part resolved the issue but I'll keep testing. I will add that I have the QAL -> QAOL issue myself.

Good info and discussion here, many thanks.

Raymond

Upvote 0
I'm on my 10th Epic, and never had this missing key input problem until this latest phone. I thought maybe the keyboard needed a little more breaking in, because the keys felt kind of stiff. After reading through this thread, I see its not me, there is definitely a problem with the keyboard. I'm wondering now, if its related to 2.2.1.

Upvote 0
happens to me all the time .. i started threads on it here & other sites but no1 seems to care lol. i too had sprint swap out the phone only to have it again happen. i have zero market apps installed n am 100% stock .. sux because i too am a fast typer and the main reason i waited on this phone is the keyboard. it reminds me of the on screen keyboard issue evo has where using reg keyboard u have to type super slow for all inputs to register. i too am going to make a visit to sprint. when it first occurred 1 day after purchase i returned to b.b kid that helped me was feeding me lines of shit n telling me i am using it wrong n thats how it is .. i wanted to knock him out so bad lol. went across the street to sprint & the tech seen the issue.

not sure if I posted here before about this but I have had this problem since day 1 - the only reason I kept this phone after this crap was because I learned to use Swype and the "speach-to-text" feature with ease and I would have gotten the evo but the screen sucks on that phone

Upvote 0
I wanted to put in my input. I had the Epic since the day it came out. My keyboard worked perfectly for several months. The the day came! I Put an OS update on my phone and voila it started skipping keys every once in a while. It worked perfect until the update. This is defiantly and software issue. The problem occurred the next txt msg following the update. Confirmed this by replacing the phone which the keyboard worked fine on. A couple of days later i got an update notification. At the time i didn't know any better so i updated. That was when i realized it was linked to the update. I immediately had the phone swapped again and ignore the update notification. Guess what? never had another skipped key issue again. It is pretty annoying having the update notification all the time but better that skipped keys. Hope this helps. Sorry though, i dont think it is possible to revert to an older firmware. Maybe but i haven't found out how but then again i don't have the issue so it has been low priority.

Upvote 0
Every time I typed a double letter, it would miss a letter, and when I typed too fast it would miss letters. Also auto correct never worked! So I followed these directions. I did a test and typed "bookkeeper" and it worked!!!

So I think these instructions are at least helpful to solve a really really annoying problem:

for fast typers, i can only think of two possible things:

1) the device keyboard options are not able to keep up with you. try disabling all these options or one at a time: auto-replace, auto-cap and auto-punctuate.

2) the keyboard itself is not able to keep up with you. try an onscreen keyboard that is made for multi-touch like smart keyboard pro.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I gotta quick question for you: Is anybody using a non-stock battery? 'Cause I switched out my battery for a 3500 mAh one, and apparently this seems to be the root of a lot of my problems. After I switched back to my original one, it only dropped about half the keys, and general performance has been WAY better. I know it doesn't excuse the problem, but maybe that can at least help alleviate some frustration? It def did with me (although I'm still gonna get mine exchanged)...

While I turned off all the Hardware Keyboard Auto correct checkboxes which seemed to help, I was thinking my Seidio 3300mAh battery might also be making things weird. I'm getting more Wi-Fi/3G/4G transition fails, and occasional almost full hangs where I have to pull out the battery to recover... So annoying.

So I would not rule out that the stupid power supply is messing with the Epic's brain... Next thing you know there will be some app that can blow up the screen, or turn the chips into mango...

Upvote 0
I can report that as of September 14th 2011, This is still an issue, I noticed it right away when I got my epic two weeks ago. And I came from an HTC touch Pro 2. That keyboard was absolute heaven. I can honestly say that comparing the two, the internals of the phone in Samsung is better than HTC, but the hardware design for the Epic is horrible compared to the TP2. So many design flaws!

I googled this problem and found so many threads with people who are having this problem. Anyone hear of a fix for this yet? I doubt it since this phone is going EOL'ed by next month

Upvote 0
Alas, I have the answer. It requires some research on your part, but it is working perfectly for me, and thus worth the extra couple minutes. First, you need to root your phone. I used ClockWork 3.0.2.5. Then I ran SyndicateROM frozen, then ran the patch nicknamed the Impaler. This all worked beautifully to fix my keyboard problem. If you youtube search how to flash SyndicateROM frozen, it will give a great tutorial on getting you as far as you need. Once you have reached that point, google search Improve Your Typing Experience in Your Epic 4G With Impaled Keyboard Patch". At this point all you have to do is run the patch and 100 percent fix! Let me know if anyone tries.

Upvote 0
Very interesting. I am also experiencing this problem on the Samsung Galaxy Indulge. My kernel version is 2.6.32.9, rom version 2.2.1

I would say its software timing related, not hardware. Probably rom level bios keycode. It dosnt happen with the software keyboard so I would assume it's a hardcode to softcode generic error.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones