• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris (barely) running 2.2

You used ME to Vista as an example? The 2 viruses Microsoft sold? How about 98 to Win7?

I did.. but it was slow as hell... so i bought a new machine... which is precisely why I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they did give us 2.2. "Here's the the spiffy new OS! It runs like ass, but look at all the cool features! Maybe you should buy a shiny new phone so you can run all these features without horrible lag!"

Toss a bone and reel the customer in!

We have Android from Google on our phones, not a Microsoft OS. Microsoft did change their philosophy on OS's. That's why Win7 can generally run on a machine that can run WinXP. Google goes a step further though. They don't charge for their OS's. They don't have a reason to make a new version that will force you to buy a new and faster phone (that includes their OS). They want the experience to be great for everyone, because they want us to have easy access to advertisements and the features that feed their business model.

The nature of technology is that faster devices will be made and required to take advantage of the smoother processing technologies, etc. Google will continue to provide Android versions that will improve on the speed and efficiency of devices, both new and old. And just as in 2.1, the richer features that just don't go with our phones will be left out.

Upvote 0
Google Is Leapfrogging Apple
(thought it was a cool article)

anyway, I hear that the Devs are hard at work with 2.2 to get it sent over to other devices. I think after the fiasco that was 2.1 Google might have been a little sneaky with the way they released it. I have a feeling fragmentation issues might be a thing of the past after Froyo, and after Gingerbread I think we can stop calling it fragmentation. We can call it antiquity.

Upvote 0
There has to be a limit or cut-off though. We can't expect Google to make Android 4.2 usable for an Eris or older phone. There will be fragmentation...

Google has stated that with Froyo that users will be able to update "portions" of future upgrades into their phone through the Android Marketplace.

For example, lets say you were on 1.5 and you wanted 2.1 for navigation though 2.1 wasn't coming to your phone. You could just download the navigation app to your phone and viola you have navigation.

Upvote 0
that's odd they would do that.

It's mostly just suggestions throughout the forums, you can go mad reading all of the "Confirmed" updates, breaking news and such. I honestly think the official 2.1 OTA update is the final Eris-specific update (maybe a patch or 2). In terms of whether or not someone can/will port over future versions, from what I read and the capacity/abilities of many; it seems likely. How well they function on our Eris...we will have to wait and see.

Upvote 0
That's what I'm thinking too. Why would they update it to 3.0, but not 2.2? You would think it would be easier to update to 2.2 from 2.1. Then again, we were completely skipped when it came to 1.6. So really, you never know until anything has been confirmed.

I'm just formulating my opinion based upon what I read here. The Gingerbread idea was something I read posted by OTD. Seems unlikely to me, but the "varsity" around here (OTD, Caddy, Thenestor, Frisco, etc) most certainly have a better grip on the possibilities.

Upvote 0
That's what I'm thinking too. Why would they update it to 3.0, but not 2.2? You would think it would be easier to update to 2.2 from 2.1. Then again, we were completely skipped when it came to 1.6. So really, you never know until anything has been confirmed.
exactly, less to update. guess we all at their mercy LOL. an update to 2.2 would be nice. let's just hope someone ports it!

Upvote 0
I find it hard to believe 2.1, 2.2, and so on so forth are anything but service packs.

Put it this way. The user interface didn't change one bit coming from 1.5, and that was a bigger jump than from where we stand, to 2.2. It's not a big deal for HTC to give us the update when they already have Android 2.x Sense code written. HTC is an admirable company, no doubt they will continue to cater to the geek squad.

"Quietly Brilliant"

Have you already forgotten why you didn't buy an iPhone?

Upvote 0
so its looks like theres 3 groups of people concerning 2.2 for the Eris:

We might get it people
We're not going to get it people
Currently holding breath in anticipation people

Then there are those of us stuck on the leaks (yes, I suffer greatly from leaker's remorse, and yes I know it's my own darn fault) who wish new stuff would stop coming out for a while because it draws any attention people may have at attempting to root the leaks.

Upvote 0
Then there are those of us stuck on the leaks (yes, I suffer greatly from leaker's remorse, and yes I know it's my own darn fault) who wish new stuff would stop coming out for a while because it draws any attention people may have at attempting to root the leaks.

yea, I'm one of the leakers too. I'm waiting to see if the devs can root 2.1 v3 cause I have the issue of my phone not ringing when someone calls me, and a few other issues. Still seriously considering jumping to the Incredible since my ne2 is ready to be used

Upvote 0
If they continue to update outdated phones with new software no one will buy the next best thing.

Hmm I would not say that. When my 2 year is up I will be looking for a new deal (and phone) for my next 2 years.

720p video recording with the new ccd chips that move the latice structures to the back of the light receiving side of the chip will make current mega pixel cammers 8x better using the same number of pixels on their current chip.

Upvote 0
every device has its cap. And considering the Eris is only slightly superior to the G1 in proc speeds and ram, I doubt there will ever be an official release of 2.2 for the eris.

both eris and g1 run at 528 mHz, and the droid eris has twice the ram and rom as the G1, and even then, i'd give the plus to the g1 simply cause it's got more physical buttons. But that's just me and my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones