• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Eris cricket MMS/WEP

Incorrect.

MMS/wap, etc connections are stored inside of a file in the android OS for CDMA. You must edit this file, it is editable without rooting by using an app in the market.

Download APNBACKUPRESTORE from the market (FREE)

Choose Backup APN

Mount your phone through USB on your computer, A file will be on your SD card that you can use notepad/textedit to edit these settings, your MMS settings will be listed inside of that text file, change them to what they need to be. Save the file (make a backup of it just in case something gets messed up so you can restore it to defaults).

Unmount from USB, go to Apnbackuprestore

restore the file.

Go to Messages>menu>settings>connection settings

Your settings will now be changed permanently.

You can restore to default settings inside of messages settings menu also instead of restoring from your backed up APN file to make things easier.

-steve

Reactions: rickdogg66
Upvote 0
I JUSAT GOT IT

I JUST GOT IT RIGHT NOW FIRST TRY

here it is:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<apns>
<apn name="CDMA" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="0" user="null" server="null" password="null" proxy="null" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="" mmsprotocol="" mmsc="" type="*" />
<apn name="Production" numeric="00000" mcc="000" mnc="00" apn="1" user="YOUR10DIGITCRICKETNUMBER@mycricket.com" server="null" password="cricket" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="wap.mycricket.com" mmsport="8080" mmsprotocol="2.0" mmsc="http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms" type="mms" />
<apn name="Android" numeric="310995" mcc="310" mnc="995" apn="internet" user="*" server="*" password="*" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="null" type="null" />
</apns>

done.

Just edit your XML file with mmsproxy=wap.mycricket.com and the corresponding port to 8080 and user=myphonenumber@mycricket.com and password=cricket

DONE.

Before changing _any_ of these settings, I was able to get one picture through to her phone (and another random old one from a couple weeks ago got through at the same time somehow) with the Verizon apn settings in there.

I just set these settings, made sure Mobile Web still works (it does) and sent a picture to her phone, and from her phone.

Everything 100%.

It was that easy. There's a kid charging $$ to do this on the Droid. I'm going to blow up his spot.

I'll e-mail you the xml file if you want. But just right click the .xml file, hit Edit, and set those settings.

Upvote 0
So this is what I changed it to but it still doesnt work what gives?​
device-1.png

Upvote 0
Ok so I got it to work now but if you use a broadband number it will not work because its trying to sent the mms through the broadband number if you change your broadband number or "security number" back to your moblie number and then create a proxy setting with better cut or any cut then it will work but you will not have the app store unless your using wifi internet still works but not as fast.

Upvote 0
Nope, just get on WiFi.

Cricket uses Simple IP and just web stuff. That wap.mycricket.com:8080 really only works for http and https on port 80. So even often long-pressing an image and Save Image won't even work! It stinks.

But it's how it is.

Sometimes apps with web content in them will load, but that's about it. I have to imagine that there would be an app to layer another proxy and connect to more things, but that either would require root, or more know-how in altering Network Settings on these handsets than I have.

My gf goes to Wendy's or Subway or walks around Campus at school and downloads apps from market etc. just uses them at home whenever she wants. Writes down what she wants to dl the next day.

Upvote 0
Has anyone seen anything like proxycap, it is used on winmo phones to tunnel everything through a proxy. Would be nice to find something like this for android.
Also does anyone know where the specific files are that set up the data connection? I think I found the xml for setting up mms in /system/framework/framework-res.apk res/xml/apns.xml
however it seems to be a compressed xml. I may try to edit it in hex editor to play.

But I am interested in finding the file that sets up data connection. Anyone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones