• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris goes to lock screen during call

Looks like I'm actually searching for the opposite from some of the threads I found. Most people seem to want to be able to lock their screen while on a call (using bluetooth headsets mostly), and I'd prefer it didn't go to lock while on a call. I just find it annoying when I've been talking for a few seconds or minutes, then take the phone away from my head, having to wake up the screen by swiping my thumb across the light sensor, set the unlock pattern, hit the home button to leave the dialer app, find the app I need to look something up in while talking, etc. And sometimes it doesn't go to lock at all!

Does anyone know why/when the screen goes to lock during a call only? The rest of the time, it takes the full 10 minutes I have it set for before dimming out and shutting down. But usually, during a call, it seems like only a few seconds.

It will lock if you're NOT on the call screen.

If you're still on the call screen (with the contact's picture, phone number, and dialpad if you have it pulled up) it won't lock.

If you're on ANY OTHER SCREEN than that, your screen will lock.

If you're using a pattern unlock, I cannot confirm if this changes things. But I've been using this phone for a long time, and SenseUI definitely does not put the HTCLockScreen activity to work when the call screen is up.

If you hit home, or another app, and move around at all on the phone while in the call, it will do it.

On speakerphone, it can sometimes detect that your face isn't nearby for an extended time, and the screen can stay ON, as well as for bluetooth.

As soon as the screen goes off (due to your face being at the phone), if you're NOT on the 'call' screen (which has wakelock) your phone will initiate its normal LOCKING sequence when the screen goes 'off' (as the phone is in 'screen off' mode - meaning that the lockscreen is automatically activated when it comes back on).

If you're on something with wakelock (possibly a flashlight app or the phone call screen, for example), your lock pattern shouldn't come up, the phone will technically stay 'awake' even when the screen goes off.

Upvote 0
My ERIS will lock on the call screen or any other screen any time you hang up from a bluetooth call that actually answers.

I have no problem when it does it if I'm not on bluetooth. But the only time I use bluetooth is when I'm driving. Then I have to enter my security code (activesync required) once I'm stopped at a stop sign, so that I can make another call or check my GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones