• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris wifi issues

ck_csra

Lurker
Dec 6, 2009
Earlier today I exchanged my Moto Droid for an Eris. When I got home, I tried connecting it to my wifi network and started having some issues. My SSID didn't show up in the wifi settings page. I tried to manually enter my wifi settings and that didn't work as well, reboot the phone, pull the battery, search forums, but had no luck finding a solution.

I have a Linksys WRT-160N wireless-N router. The router is currently set up with a network mode as "Mixed" as I have both wireless-N and wireless-G devices connecting to the router. While troubleshooting, I changed the router's network mode to "Wireless-G only." The moment I did that, the Eris could see the SSID and connect. I also tried "Wireless-BG," and the Eris connected with no problems.

I had no issues with the Moto Droid, and am kind of regretting switching now due to this issue. Has anyone else experienced problems getting their Eris to talk to a mixed-mode wireless-N router?

I have the Linksys WRT350N here and set to mixed mode. I could not connect until I enabled SSID broadcast. When I disable SSID broadcast the ERIS losses connection.

I don't have my Eris yet because I just ordered it today, but here is something you can try. I'm not sure how indepth the WIFI settings are, but if you're not broadcasting your SSID I would recommend checking for a setting on the Eris that tells it to connect even if the SSID is not broadcasting. Windows has this option in its' native wireless manager or it could be that there is no setting for this and the Eris just doesn't connect to a wireless network that doesn't broadcast the SSID or it could also be the firmware on your Linksys router. You can check the Linksys website to see if there are any updated firmware for your router, and if so you can update the firmware through the web interface for the Linksys router.

Another option is you can try DD-WRT. It's an open source firmware alternative for many routers, including most Linksys models. A lot of tech savy individuals like DD-WRT better (some just want people to think their cool because they use the super secret DD-WRT firmware n00bs don't know about) but it's worth a shot if you really want to keep the Eris and use it on your network without broadcasting the SSID and you've exhausted all other solutions. Or, you can pick up a different model router and test it out.

Upvote 0
I don't have my Eris yet because I just ordered it today, but here is something you can try. I'm not sure how indepth the WIFI settings are, but if you're not broadcasting your SSID I would recommend checking for a setting on the Eris that tells it to connect even if the SSID is not broadcasting. Windows has this option in its' native wireless manager or it could be that there is no setting for this and the Eris just doesn't connect to a wireless network that doesn't broadcast the SSID or .

The ERIS does not have the ability to select an option to connect 'even if the SSID is not broadcast'. I previously used a WinMob which had no issues connecting.

Upvote 0
I don't have my Eris yet because I just ordered it today, but here is something you can try. I'm not sure how indepth the WIFI settings are, but if you're not broadcasting your SSID I would recommend checking for a setting on the Eris that tells it to connect even if the SSID is not broadcasting. Windows has this option in its' native wireless manager or it could be that there is no setting for this and the Eris just doesn't connect to a wireless network that doesn't broadcast the SSID or it could also be the firmware on your Linksys router. You can check the Linksys website to see if there are any updated firmware for your router, and if so you can update the firmware through the web interface for the Linksys router.

Another option is you can try DD-WRT. It's an open source firmware alternative for many routers, including most Linksys models. A lot of tech savy individuals like DD-WRT better (some just want people to think their cool because they use the super secret DD-WRT firmware n00bs don't know about) but it's worth a shot if you really want to keep the Eris and use it on your network without broadcasting the SSID and you've exhausted all other solutions. Or, you can pick up a different model router and test it out.

Thanks for the tips. The SSID on that router was set to broadcast. I did check the firmware and noticed it did need to be updated. After updating, it still didn't work.

I would LOVE to put DD-WRT on it, but I have an incompatible version. There are 3 or 4 versions of the router out there, and of course I have the only router that you can't put DD-WRT on. /sigh

My 2 concerns:
*it was a problem with my Eris and I would need to swap it out before my 30 days are up
*when I needed to connect to wifi (say on a plane, or a friends house) I wouldn't be able to or couldn't trust that it could

After taking it to work and it connecting fine on wireless-N, and trying it at a local coffee house, I'm going to chalk it up to being unlucky and having a POS router, especially after someone else confirmed it.

Upvote 0
Just got my Eris today and wanted to chime in and say I am having the exact same issues. I have a Belkin router that is B+G+N and broadcasts SSID but for whatever reason my Eris cannot pick it up. The frustrating thing is that it still finds my neighbors wireless networks, which happen to all be password protected.

I also have issues with the Eris being stuck in 1X and not 3G. I live in a major metropolitan area where it should absolutely get 3G. 1X is really, really slow.

Upvote 0
Just got my Eris today and wanted to chime in and say I am having the exact same issues. I have a Belkin router that is B+G+N and broadcasts SSID but for whatever reason my Eris cannot pick it up. The frustrating thing is that it still finds my neighbors wireless networks, which happen to all be password protected.

I also have issues with the Eris being stuck in 1X and not 3G. I live in a major metropolitan area where it should absolutely get 3G. 1X is really, really slow.

The issue regarding being stuck in 1X is being fixed in the OTA update that is happening this week, iirc.

Upvote 0

I hear ya. Does taking the router out of mixed-mode work for you?

Does anyone know of an official way to report this as a bug? Would it be best to contact HTC or Verizon?

Upvote 0
While troubleshooting, I changed the router's network mode to "Wireless-G only." The moment I did that, the Eris could see the SSID and connect. I also tried "Wireless-BG," and the Eris connected with no problems.

It seems to me that at least you have an acceptable workaround without any further effort.

If you use your home wireless network mostly for internet access, it is unlikely that your DSL/Cable/Optic link is faster than WiFi-G; in which case you won't notice a difference in application speed because the wireless router is not the rate limiting factor. WiFi-N isn't doing anything for you in that scenario, except perhaps being a little more robust in congested areas (where there is lots of channel interference from nearby APs).

If you are streaming video between wireless clients in your home network, or sharing/printing very large files between wireless machines on your LAN, then perhaps you would notice a difference in that case.

I guess the iPhone 3GS doesn't do WiFi-N, either, for what that's worth.

cheers!

Upvote 0
My Eris connects fine to my network.

Try going into the router UI and changing from using WEP to MAC filtering and add your devices plus you phones MAC's to the "Allow" list. My phone connects instantly when I turn the Wi-Fi on.

Most router UI's default IP is 192.168.0.1

From there you can config the router to MAC filter.

Upvote 0
My Eris connects fine to my home network, but it will not find my work WiFi. My co-workers iPhone works fine, but I just can't get it to work. Tried manually entering the IP to no avail. I know when he connects, it redirects him to a seperate page that I'm not seeing. Is there an app that can help?

I also tried to manually enter the redirect page, but no go.

Upvote 0
I have wrt54gs at home with dd-wrt and my Eris works without it broadcasting the ssid. I just had to manually enter the info in Eris settings. My brother has a d-link N router and my Eris would connect and get signal (on G), but the actual data transfer wouldn't work all the time. I never had the chance to mess with his router. My laptop has N and it was doing great on that router so who knows.

Upvote 0
I have a netgear and my Eris connects fine but for some reason it will lock up my router and make it reset. some times it's fine but other times I get the reset problem. my laptop and iPod touch work fine and don't cause the reset but for whatever reason my Eris does. come to think of it, Every HTC phone I've had does it. any suggestions ?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones