• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ghornet54

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
When I try to root my nook, I get the following errors:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
Formatting data....
Error formatting data

I've tried everything on the board, but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

James

It's a Nook Color. Don't remember the model number, I've had it for at least a year. I rooted it to Honeycomb 3.0 and it was working great until one morning I tried to start it and nothing happened. I just get the android screen and nothing else. I used the guides on here to try to get it back, but now it only gives me the above info.

I've got TWRP installed and get to all the screens, but when I try to install nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip, but it says "unable to open file." I've tried several different SD cards. The card is a 4. At this point, I will take anything to get the nook working.

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0
If running CWM, you need to verify your version says 3.2.0.1 when you boot it. An older version (like 3.0.2.8) would have trouble formatting data if you were on newer B&N versions.

TWRP would be the latest version (3.2.0.1) and should work, but you'd have to figure out the menu's (not hard) since my guides are for CWM.

Does TWRP let you format data and caches? If it can't open your file, are you sure it isn't corrupt? If you plug the card into your computer, can you open it from the sdcard? It's recommended to check CRC on these files, but I just open them with WinRar and click the "test" button at the top.

Have you tried a new card? You can get a new one for less than $10.

Sorry for all the questions. If it boots, it has to work. Creating a card that boots is the hard part. If it doesn't work, it has to be something else.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
[...]
I've got TWRP installed and get to all the screens, but when I try to install nookcolor_1_4_1_update.zip, but it says "unable to open file." I've tried several different SD cards.
This is probably your problem. That's the B&N update you downloaded from B&N, correct? If so, you don't install it via CWM. You need to be on B&N firmware, THEN update to 1.4.1. (1.4.2 is out, and is no more difficult to root, so you might as well grab that while you're at it.)

What you need to do is get back on an older B&N firmware. There are flashable 1.2 and 1.3 versions out there -- but NOT from B&N.

Take a look at the howto guide for B&N 1.4.1 (also works for 1.4.2, but I can't change the post subject). It details how to get back to B&N firmware 1.3. For your case, I would suggest starting at Step 1 under PROCESS to make sure you've got a proper CWM (unless you want to save 10 minutes up front and lose hours at the end), and then working through each step in sequence. Don't waste your time trying to skip steps. Believe me, I tried and it doesn't work.

The trick to updating using B&N's files is to sideload it onto the NC INTERNAL (eMMC) memory. Plug the NC into your computer and copy the B&N .zip file, unchanged in any way, to the root of the MyNOOKcolor (not your uSD) drive. Then let the device go to sleep. It will update automatically then. You don't flash them like most ROMs. Again, though, ONLY if you're ALREADY on B&N firmware.

You could, of course, use other firmware besides B&N. I'm suggesting this route because you were trying to load B&N 1.4.1.

Don't Panic. The NC is a tank, and damned hard to brick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones