• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brianboy12

Lurker
Mar 6, 2013
I bought a used ZTE Warp N860 on Ebay. Claimed clean ESN. But, I now find out it has been flashed with an ESN for another carrier (I presume). I called Boost and they say the original ESN is still GOOD / Clean, but how do I get the original ESN back on the phone? Boost says they won't do it. I don't know why they wouldn't do it .. it's the ESN that should be on the phone. Any advice? Too much time has passed to go back to Ebay. It was supposed to be a back-up phone in case the one I use fails / lost.

No the update tool does not work for that unfortunately but I wonder... the esn that was flashed over, is it clean? Doesnt boost accept phones from other carriers? Couldn't you use the esn curently on your phone?

He said he thinks it was flashed to another carrier, prolly Sprint. I would call them again and explain the situation, especially if they claim the original esn is good:)

Upvote 0
The MEID on the phone does not match the MEID on the sticker on the back of the phone. The MEID on the sticker is clean / good according to Boost. The phone was flashed to another MEID and the tech support didn't know who, or wouldn't say. They said it wouldn't work with Boost. What I want is the MEID which is supposed to be on the phone to be flashed back, then Boost says they will activate it. But they will NOT flash it for me.

Upvote 0
I remember hearing that boost would flash any phone as long as it is compatible... that being said, if the meid on your phone is clean they should flash it even if the meid is "incompatible"... unless the meid is used at the moment it sould be fine... now it is a little sketchy because you don't know if the original phone to that esn is still floating around... if so it may get activated at the same time as yours and that is unsettling... I guess since you bought this phone on ebay, you should return it for a full refund and buy another one.. but if you can't, then I would try activating it yourself on the website... I know you want to change the meid back to the original but doing so is nearly impossible without having a backup of the original nv items... and I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record..:p

Upvote 0
thanks for you help. I used the MeidConverter I found on the web, and it gave me the correct MEID which was flashed to the phone + the MSL. I then went online with Boostmobile.com. The flashed MEID I had b/4 was one digit shy (17 digits - supposed to be 18) When I put in the new (flashed) MEID on Boost activate site, it showed it was clear and ready to activate! The flashed MEID was on MetroPCS, but I guess Boost will accept it anyway. So, the MEID on the sticker is clean / good and the MEID (flashed) registered in the phone is also clean / good. Problem was when I gave them the flashed MEID initially, it was only 17 digits (thats what showed on the about phone menu) and that's why it wouldn't work. Once I had the correct flashed MEID, it worked.:)

Upvote 0
thanks for you help. I used the MeidConverter I found on the web, and it gave me the correct MEID which was flashed to the phone + the MSL. I then went online with Boostmobile.com. The flashed MEID I had b/4 was one digit shy (17 digits - supposed to be 18) When I put in the new (flashed) MEID on Boost activate site, it showed it was clear and ready to activate! The flashed MEID was on MetroPCS, but I guess Boost will accept it anyway. So, the MEID on the sticker is clean / good and the MEID (flashed) registered in the phone is also clean / good. Problem was when I gave them the flashed MEID initially, it was only 17 digits (thats what showed on the about phone menu) and that's why it wouldn't work. Once I had the correct flashed MEID, it worked.:)

Glad it all worked out for you! :)

Reactions: LilBit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones