• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Esteem General Issues Thread

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Hello everyone, Newbie and Dummy here. May I ask, I have the LG Esteem and I would like to know if there is a way to stop running the "Metro Navigator", It's utilizing most of my power? I know it cannot be uninstalled but I don't want it running. Also, Should the "Entire" screen rotate when in camera mode. I've noticed that some icons rotate, but when I bring up the settings menu and when it asks were to save, those two will not rotate, Should they? One more, :p While inputting an event into the calendar, using the keyboard, it will not rotate as well, should it? If so can someone tell me how to fix these things.

Thank You So Much in Advance!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

ETA: I've asked these questions in a Esteem thread, to no avail!

First of all you navigation has an option to exit when you go to navigation and press the menu touch button, its called "exit". Also you can go to Settings >about phone> battery. And you click the navigation or any app you want to stop then you press force stop. And for your phone to rotate, simply go to your settings> display and enable/check Automatic orientation if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: SmrtPhoneDummy
Upvote 0
Hey I have weird issue, I got my Esteem few days ago, i exchanged it with Samsung Indluge as it was laggy and was dropping LTE signal.

Anyway, LG Esteem is said to have 512MB of RAM, however Mobo Task killer and Quadrant benchmark, even Android Task manager shows exactly 379MB for me!

Well it does have 512mb as far as I know. 143mb is shared for the system and 379mb availabe to you but also , I think out of those 379mb they are still some foreground apps and also the video chip around 239mb is being used specially for those . Therefore you stay with around 140~ MB . (Still the phone is scarely FAST)

Its all about shared , plz correct me if I'm wrong ....

Upvote 0
Hey I have weird issue, I got my Esteem few days ago, i exchanged it with Samsung Indluge as it was laggy and was dropping LTE signal.

Anyway, LG Esteem is said to have 512MB of RAM, however Mobo Task killer and Quadrant benchmark, even Android Task manager shows exactly 379MB for me!

It has 512mb. I wouldn't worry about how much ram you are using and don't use a task killer other then the stock one. The ones from android market close much more then they should which will kill your battery.

Android is very efficient at dealing with ram. Just let it do its think. Like I said if an app being open is giving you problems then use the stock task killer

Its not like IPhone that doesn't allow multitasking because apple is too dumb to figure out how to make the OS allocate ram properly.

Upvote 0
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Hey there smart people, it's me again. I have a couple questions, if you don't mind. :D Is this green indicator light supposed to "Always" be on, while phone (LG Esteem) is not in use? Also, Am I able to toggle between which network I would like to use, 4G, 3G, so forth and so on? or does it utilize which ever one is available to me? TIA! ;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

Green means you have an email unless you are plugged in, then it means your battery is fully charged. As for toggling your network, it's not possible without a work around, most people just turn off data if they don't need it (you can still use the phone and SMS with data off.)

Reactions: SmrtPhoneDummy
Upvote 0
Green means you have an email unless you are plugged in, then it means your battery is fully charged. As for toggling your network, it's not possible without a work around, most people just turn off data if they don't need it (you can still use the phone and SMS with data off.)

Thank you for such a quick response. No that little light is always on, checked emails, checked everything I could think of, Oh and yes, even unplugged. I spoke to a rep at LG and he stated it shows service, but when I first got the phone, it wasn't on, now all of a sudden it's always on, with a capitol A, on. It doesn't blink or anything. But soon as I open phone, it shuts off. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Anybody notice you can talk and go on the web at the same time? I was under the impression that was GSM only...

VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) supports that too. And it is coming to Metro soon. LTE is a GSM technology. The Esteem should already support this, I know the Revolution does since Verizon has demonstrated it on that handset.

MetroPCS will begin transition to VoLTE early next year -- Engadget

US carriers were quick to acknowledge their allegiance to Voice over LTE (VoLTE), a 4G VoIP-related technology first demonstrated in February. Ever since that time, however, talk of deployment plans have been replaced by crickets. MetroPCS was the first to break the silence, as CEO Roger Linquist announced at this morning's quarterly earnings call that his company's "planning to begin introducing VoLTE-capable handsets early next year to move voice as well as data traffic to [its] LTE network." The outfit's wasting no time making the full transition to 4G, as it's already begun migrating its SMS and MMS services to this service. An increasing sense of urgency is likely hitting the company hard, as implementing VoLTE will ease some of the burden of its limited spectrum by devoting more bandwidth to 4G. What's better, the anticipated timeframe may even allow MetroPCS to beat Verizon to market -- which has also targeted 2012 as a launch date for its equivalent service -- as well as AT&T, currently aiming for a 2013 takeoff. No matter what, we're ecstatic to soon be flooded with more HD-clarity calls than we care to take.

LG Revolution handles voice over LTE (VoLTE) and video call over LTE

We told ya

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, Newbie and Dummy here. May I ask, I have the LG Esteem and I would like to know if there is a way to stop running the "Metro Navigator", It's utilizing most of my power? I know it cannot be uninstalled but I don't want it running. Also, Should the "Entire" screen rotate when in camera mode. I've noticed that some icons rotate, but when I bring up the settings menu and when it asks were to save, those two will not rotate, Should they? One more, :p While inputting an event into the calendar, using the keyboard, it will not rotate as well, should it? If so can someone tell me how to fix these things.

Thank You So Much in Advance!!!

If anyone knows the answer, I would like to know how to get the metro navigator to stop eating up my battery too. I've tried everything including resetting the phone back to it's factory settings. When I did that it went away and the first time I used the navigation, it came back on and stayed. It's driving me crazy! The app is not running but still shows as using my battery power. No, the phone is not rooted. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, Newbie and Dummy here. May I ask, I have the LG Esteem and I would like to know if there is a way to stop running the "Metro Navigator", It's utilizing most of my power? I know it cannot be uninstalled but I don't want it running. Also, Should the "Entire" screen rotate when in camera mode. I've noticed that some icons rotate, but when I bring up the settings menu and when it asks were to save, those two will not rotate, Should they? One more, :p While inputting an event into the calendar, using the keyboard, it will not rotate as well, should it? If so can someone tell me how to fix these things.

Thank You So Much in Advance!!!

I would like to know how to get rid of the metro navigator running in the background as well. I have tried everything and can't get it to go away. The phone is not rooted. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
Anybody notice you can talk and go on the web at the same time? I was under the impression that was GSM only...

You can do it if you have wi-fi connection. The wifi loads the data while the CDMA talks.

Before anyone makes any stupid comments, right now even on LTE phones, it's the CDMA band that does all the talking. Until VoLTE is approved, no LTE phones actually carry conversations on the LTE band. No provider has launched VoLTE yet, even AT&T or Verizon. AT&T phone calls use the GSM band. AT&T does not plan to introduce VoLTE until 213.

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless....olte-2013-will-use-aws-and-700-mhz/2010-10-20

MetroPCS says 1st quarter 2012.

Upvote 0
If anyone knows the answer, I would like to know how to get the metro navigator to stop eating up my battery too. I've tried everything including resetting the phone back to it's factory settings. When I did that it went away and the first time I used the navigation, it came back on and stayed. It's driving me crazy! The app is not running but still shows as using my battery power. No, the phone is not rooted. Thanks

I would like to know how to get rid of the metro navigator running in the background as well. I have tried everything and can't get it to go away. The phone is not rooted. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

WHY can't you UNinstall the Metro Navigator? I did. This phone has been ROOTED since October. The Metro Navigator is the MetroPCS GPS service, which is like Google Maps. I see no reason to have both, so I removed it.

ROOT your phone and remove it. There, problem solved.

Upvote 0

Just simply go to settings> about phone> battery usage then select metro navigator and force close it.

As said before i recommend uninstalling that app since its not necessary..

Upvote 0
Hi youtube on my esteem keeps force closing when I go to a channel. Ie watching a video and I want to see more from the person i touch the channel name then it force closes
Can someone helpme

Ive seen quite a few people having problems with this. Try going into your settings>apps>manage apps> and find the youtube app and delete all the data and cache from the app and see if that helps

Upvote 0
i created an account just to let everyone know, i got an esteem on monday (yesterday) and got it up and running and all day long metro navigator ate up 74% of my battery!!! so i rooted the phone, got titanium backup and busybox and uninstalled it but backed it up...just in case.......so today as of right now for a little under 7 hours on battery alone, my battery status is 75% =D =D =D the program is for when you are on google or gmail or whatever and you want to find the exact location (gps) of an individual phone, this program talks through this system (metro navigator) YOU DON'T NEED IT! i can still use maps, places, navigation, youtube, everything else, calls text whatever....also turn down the brightness to half.....and try and use wifi when you can, 4g eats up batter a little fast.....

Upvote 0
i created an account just to let everyone know, i got an esteem on monday (yesterday) and got it up and running and all day long metro navigator ate up 74% of my battery!!! so i rooted the phone, got titanium backup and busybox and uninstalled it but backed it up...just in case.......so today as of right now for a little under 7 hours on battery alone, my battery status is 75% =D =D =D the program is for when you are on google or gmail or whatever and you want to find the exact location (gps) of an individual phone, this program talks through this system (metro navigator) YOU DON'T NEED IT! i can still use maps, places, navigation, youtube, everything else, calls text whatever....also turn down the brightness to half.....and try and use wifi when you can, 4g eats up batter a little fast.....

Well thanks for the tip there :). And yes , 4G is the most battery ester there is in the phone !!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones