• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 2.2, go back to 2.1?

Blitzpwnage

Jun 3, 2010
Alright this is an odd questions but can you go back to the stock 2.1 from 2.2? Like on hero if you updated to 2.1 you could go back to 1.5 RUU right? Or someone please educate me, I dont even have my EVO yet im getting the White one from best buy within 2 weeks.

You need to be rooted to flash a custom rom. A sprint RUU won't work because it gives you an error based on newer build already installed. Changing the date on the sprint ruu messes up the signatures. I have no experience with win mo (and very little with android) but as of now it is not possible to go from 2.2 to 2.1 on a non rooted evo.

Upvote 0
why can you not flash a rom and go back with android. I know with my win mo phone I could go back and forth between builds regardless if it was locked or not. you just flash a rom on it.

Because the bootloader that is released with the android phones prevents flashing. That's why we root and unlock the bootloader. Two separate issues, all lumped into the term "rooting." Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can flash whatever you want, even if you didn't root your filesystem.

Part of a full root is replacing the bootloader with an engineering version that enables you to flash freely. Although with the latest root technique (unrevoked forever), you can unlock the stock bootloader and not need the engineering version.

If the phone was released with the ability to flash roms, then the feature would need to be supported. And considering how many people run into problems with flashing roms, it's easy to see why they decided to lock down the bootloader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones