• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 4G 2.3.3 can't root

if hboot does not see it then it can be either:
1.the file is not named correctly. it needs to be PC36IMG. if your windows hides extensions then make sure not to add one to the name. otherwise it will be PC36IMG.zip.zip which will not work.

2.it is not on the card in the right spot. it needs to be just on the card. no folders.

I put it in the bottom of the card as PC36IMG

3.or if you have a class 2g card. the evo has a hard time with those cards.

Card is Class 4

This is so frustrating! I've been messing with this phone for days! I rooted my first Evo in an hour including my tether installation. This is ridiculous!

I think there is a conflict with those serial numbers.

When I open my sd card the file looks like a blank piece of paper with a bent corner. They told me to rename the file and I got a warning that renaming could damage the file.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Card is Class 4

This is so frustrating! I've been messing with this phone for days! I rooted my first Evo in an hour including my tether installation. This is ridiculous!

I think there is a conflict with those serial numbers.

When I open my sd card the file looks like a blank piece of paper with a bent corner. They told me to rename the file and I got a warning that renaming could damage the file.

Any ideas?

ok sounds like you are extracting it. leave it zipped up.

Upvote 0
That failed as well. I do have my files backed up with that ClockworkMod app tho.

Any reason why I can't use that?
are you on a mac or pc? macs (i believe automatically unzipps files, could be wrong)if you are on a pc try a fresh download and do not extract it. just change the name to PC36IMG and transfer it to the card and then try again. if not i have another way we can try if you like.

you can try this method:
so here is what you will need to do:
1.download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader
2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.
3.next you will need to download amon ra 2.3from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.
5.run android flasher
6.go to the recovery slot and select browse and then navigate to the amon ra .img file
7.select it and then select recovery
8.then at the very bottom select flash

congrats!!!!!! you now have amon ra 2.3 installed.

Upvote 0
are you on a mac or pc? macs (i believe automatically unzipps files, could be wrong)if you are on a pc try a fresh download and do not extract it. just change the name to PC36IMG and transfer it to the card and then try again. if not i have another way we can try if you like.

you can try this method:
so here is what you will need to do:
1.download android flasher from here:
AF Downloader
2.and extract it to someplace on your desktop where you can find it.
3.next you will need to download amon ra 2.3from here:
PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip
4.extract the img.file and place it some where you will be able to find it.
5.run android flasher
6.go to the recovery slot and select browse and then navigate to the amon ra .img file
7.select it and then select recovery
8.then at the very bottom select flash

congrats!!!!!! you now have amon ra 2.3 installed.

So I extracted the file from my desktop and there was a disc in the middle of the "sheet of paper" as I call it, then I moved it to the root of the phones SD card still did not get the "select yes to update" query. I have backed up this phone 3 times today. Good thing I have a 32 bit SD card in it, huh?

I'll try this other method you so generously posted and try that. Holy crap!

Addendum: Android Flash seemed to be doing fine but when the dialog box opened it stopped downloading the file. There is a quarter inch of green (or 25% of the gage) showing progress. There are several boxes that could be checked but I can't check them because the download is frozen. It says radio, recovery, bootloader, splash screen and WiMax with check boxes and brouse buttons. WTF! I just can't get a break here!

I think my Superuser is not properly installed. I just noticed the icon is not lit up. I tried deleting the zip file and replacing the file unzipped but no go on my tethering. Gotta give it up for the night. I appreciate your help. Another day spent! Frustration runs deep!

Upvote 0
not sure what you mean by the download is frozen? the AF flasher? or the recovery img? you need to click on the browse button and locate the file.

ok another suggestion. and this is the only time i will ever recommend it. but you could try rom manager. you can get it from the market. rom manager uses clockwork mod recovery but you can also use it to switch recoveries as well. there should be an option to do it. it will give you a warning. just ignore it as it talks about when you switch recoveries, the clockwork mod nandroid backups will not work with amon ra 2.3. this might be the easiest way. afterwards though rom manager will not work so i would uninstall it. hopefully this will work for you.

Upvote 0
not sure what you mean by the download is frozen? the AF flasher? or the recovery img? you need to click on the browse button and locate the file.

ok another suggestion. and this is the only time i will ever recommend it. but you could try rom manager. you can get it from the market. rom manager uses clockwork mod recovery but you can also use it to switch recoveries as well. there should be an option to do it. it will give you a warning. just ignore it as it talks about when you switch recoveries, the clockwork mod nandroid backups will not work with amon ra 2.3. this might be the easiest way. afterwards though rom manager will not work so i would uninstall it. hopefully this will work for you.

I made huge strides last night at home. I had been performing this root at a local Starbucks coffe shop and it made things very difficult due to interruptins and noise. I now have root and had the tethering app seemingly working. I got it to go on properly without error messages. I also got superuser installed properly. Unfortunately, where the tether app shows up on my computer it wont engage. Not sure why that is, unless iof course I need to have HTC sync installed. I tried to get barnacle and it said app not available. I really liked my wireless internet program from my other evo so I am endeavoring to get the glitches out.

I appreciate all your help and support. Thanks man!

Upvote 0
Damn! So I KNOW I am rooted, and I KNOW tether was functional to the extent that it was showing up on both my laptop and my pc last night, however, I never connected to the internet. The Android showed being there but the connection never happened and I was unable to connect. Have been messing with it all day. Really thought I had it beat last night. Don't know what is preventing the connection. Now my phone does not even show up on either of my computers. I don't know what I did. I have been getting a message about not having an account for my Hotspot.

Any ideas?

Forget it...Got it!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones