• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO, Epic or Wait?

toasty

Android Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2010
Here's the deal. I have a Hero, and I am finally, mercifully, eligible for an upgrade. I literally cannot wait to get rid of this phone, but I don't want to get something, only to have the latest and greatest new phone arrive on the scene the next day. Having sucked it up this long, I can wait another month or so if need be. EVO and Epic users: are you happy, or are you ready for the next big thing?

Also, I know there are threads on this topic, and I think the answer is no, but is anyone aware of any new sprint phones on par with the EVO and Epic that are on the immediate horizon?

TIA

Well, the way that the cell phone industry is running right now, there will be something newer and better coming out at least every 12 months. So, at some point, you have to just go for it or you will be waiting forever. Both the EVO and Epic are awesome phones, decide which one is best for you and get one. You will be happy with either for quite some time. I have had the EVO since June and it is simply awesome!

Upvote 0
I own an EVO and am perfectly happy with it and despite being released a few months back it still can hold its own very easily with some of the newest released phones today. In a way I would say HTC did a good job "future proofing" the phone as its specs can still be considered one of the highest out there so it does not feel outdated at all.

I imagine the same is for the Epic.

With that said the only upcoming Sprint phones that there is any information on of being released is the HTC Knight which is rumored to be a high end phone coming at the end of this year or early 2011.

In addition to that there are rumors of a Nexus 2 being released as well as Motorola's extremely high end "Droid Terminator" which is said will be available for all carriers unlike the other "Droid" phones around Early 2011.

That is pretty much it as far as rumors go.

I would say as long as your Hero functions well and you can wait a few months than you might be better off holding out until January at least. By then almost all the rumors will probably have more information released that can give u a better idea of what to choose.

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat. Hero that just won't cut it any more and am now eligible for upgrade.

I'm just looking at what happened last year. I bought this thing in Oct, and it was alright. But come Feb, there was a new generation that was finally functional. Unfortunately Sprint never gives us much warning on new handsets.
I figure something spiffy has to be coming up for holiday sales unless they're really trying to ride out the Evo/Epic. Not that they're bad options, and they're definitely not going to be the horror story Hero has turned out to be, but I know there are dual core 1 ghz+ processors on the horizon. Just can't tell where.

Upvote 0
if you wait you have the lg optimus (cough cough) and the htc knight (on january 6th) nothing really big coming till next summer. unless you want a crackberry and their are rumors on the 9930 coming

What would possibly make you say next summer?
Is there some information nobody else has that you'd like to share?

Upvote 0
if you wait you have the lg optimus (cough cough) and the htc knight (on january 6th) nothing really big coming till next summer. unless you want a crackberry and their are rumors on the 9930 coming

how solid do you think the htc knight/speedy rumor of january 6th? seems interesting that they would wait until after the holiday to release a new power phone.

that phone looks awesome, pretty close to the Evo powerhouse.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones