• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo Shift Gingerbread Root/hboot downgrade

First of all, when you downgrade be sure get the sdk kit. Then be sure to download the files as article says, NOW here is where I had many unsuccessful attempts.
When you place the downloaded files in the adb file, you are actually placing them in the root directory of platform tools. as sdk kit has a few folders labeled platform tools i dug thru all the folders and placed a copy in each folder.
I could not for the life of me get emulator to work, so I had to abd push thru the computer, I as well tried evilnulls method for both temp and erm on my sons Phone, neither worked.

O.k after you get file placed in the folder(s), as was my case, you call up command prompt.
From there you need to look see exactly what directly you have sdk installed in, as mine was in root drive of windows, I had to use c:/android yada yada to call up the command for sdk.
Getting past that it sailed right along. Though will say I formatted card with phone, then dropped my file in. Used the stock card came with phone. There was my other hang up. The phone would not for the life of a crack baby just born, find the darn img till I let it format, which to be sure it was fresh I formatted a total of 4 times.

At the final end, I will say, was not a solid 2 days, as when it ticked me off, I walked away and got a beer. On second day, I had so much beer, I really didnt care if I toasted the phone or not, as it was insured, and free first time around.

Also I used the automated method for root on 2.2, which I watched a utube video on and it pointed a link to xda and the dev there. Not at home near lappy at moment or would share a few links, but google is a friend.

One last note, I turned fast boot off, it was as well causing issues, I had in total, near 65 attempts at temp root on my evo, on my sons, I will say, sailed right thru it, after all i learned first time around.

Upvote 0
LISTEN Up
I know nothing on linux, really have no command prompt knowledge, and I done it so.............

If command listed per guide didnt match, I retyped everything. till it matched... then proceeded. this said it did take a few attempts, dont be scared, as long as screen stays white and reads htc. Even on 4-5 rebootd unsuccessful phone is not fubared. just repeat steps. Trust me been there
done that.

I have little command prompt knowldge, but as long as phone command prompt was in sdk platform, it worked.

Also to date 4 days I have tried 18 roms related to kernel and ron, have run cyangen and a few others. This said I tend to lay close to sense 3.0, yet enjoy works of others

Rooted I seen alot more fations others have not, though what made me choose an android is well sense (gingerbread roms). I would love mui and and a few others if.................... vvm worked, no power light, no working keyboard light, my kb appearing small on photos.

Upvote 0
See, my easy exe rooting method is the best, no linux knowledge needed, no sdk needed, just click and go!

Link removed

We have found the next exploit for the next update. We are keeping it hush hush till the ICS buzz settles. You should expect the Dec/Jan Update for the shift to have an ICS kernel. Expect it!

We ARE watching, and we ARE waiting -
GB source with Apache code will be released Nov 1st I'll see what i can do about getting it to Agrabren and then everyone else.

Upvote 0
I simply cannot get temp root access. I have downloaded the Android-Bullet batch file, and when I run it, everything seems to be fine. It says successful, but when I do a root check, it says I don't have root access. I have also done the Re-Rooter, with the same results. I have done this over 10 times. Any other things I can try?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have visited this page a ton of times, and have followed these instructions to a tee. Everything says successful, and it appears that all is good. But when I run Root Check after performing these steps exactly, I am told "Sorry, but you don't have root access on your phone". Don't know what else to try!

Upvote 0
Just to confirm
If you're stuck with 2.3.3, is this downgrade currently the best option to root at the moment? It sounds like there are people who are working on a simple root program, but that it is generally not available yet.
I'm not intimidated by how complicated the process is, but I'd rather not jump into something that looks like it could be a real time consuming pain, if there's an easy solution that's likely to pop up.
Think it's worth it to wait for a couple weeks or months til somebody makes a one-click that works with the new hboot in 2.3.3?
*hopeful* (or did somebody already make one, and I just haven't found it on this forum yet?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones