• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO too loud

gt4rcdude

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
My EVO is too loud on both speaker and bluetooth headset. I have all volumes turned all the way down, including the headset. Sometimes on the headset it ramps up all by itself, then goes back down. In the two years I had my Instinct (I know) the headset never did this. Using the phone only the speaker sometimes distorts on a call it's so loud.

Phone is unrooted.
I've applied all updates.
I've adjusted all settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Is it only on Speaker and Bluetooth? or does it occur during normal operation as a handset? From my experience, speaker has always caused distortion, on every phone I've used. I don't have any experience with Bluetooth, but there seems to be a lot of reports of general quirky issues after this new update. Have you tried resetting your Evo? (Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset>reset phone)

Upvote 0
Sound manager doesn't work.

The volume is off for all items. System, Ringer, notification, media, alarm, and in-call.

I can plug in a pair of headphones, either a $3 pair from frys that I can use for phone calls, or my sony noise-reduction types. (mdr-nc7)
Once i plug them in, I had severely loud sound coming from the headphones.

Now, I am using iHeartRadio, so it may be the program itself.
BUT, the sound also comes on for some of games I play too. (Angry Birds, World at War, iMobsters)

Unrooted phone, and I really don't plan on reseting it. (unless that just settings and not anything else.)

Upvote 0
resets fix odd issues... no one knows why...it just works.

other than defective hardware...I don't see many options here...and this would be an odd combination of a defective speaker AND headphone jack ...not unheard of and might be worth taking in to a sprint repair center.

repair center typical will do the following:

update data
update prl
reset
technician test

Upvote 0
I just logged on here because I am having the same issue - My handset is WAY too loud on the quietest setting. I am waiting for blood to start coming from my ear drum!

Suggestions or does this sound purely like a hardware issue?

I just got the phone two weeks ago and now have it all setup to my heart's content, so replacing it would suck!

Upvote 0
I have the exact same issue. Just called HTC tech support and the guy laughed at me. Said he hadn't heard of anybody else having this issue, but if you do a search, you'll see it's very common.

I have tried several apps to help with it, but none work. The only solution I can find is perhaps an adapter with a volume knob? Something like Amazon.com: Koss VC20 Volume Control: Electronics for example, although be aware that this one won't work, since it isn't made for something with a mic. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones