• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO's EVO's Everywhere! Do you see what I see?

reiththestud

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
I recall a commenter on Engadget one day saying how the iPhone has staying power, and in a few months, noone will be even talking about the EVO, let alone actually seeing one in real life.
Well over the past couple days, I have seen two people in a class I'm taking, not including myself, flip out their own EVO's. We make eye contact and give this agreeable nod that we've made the right choice. Then at the dentist, the receptionist had their EVO sitting by their keyboard. I enjoy striking up conversations with these people and seeing how they're liking their new phone. Then a new guy at work bought one based on my recommendation.
This is all secondary to the fact that I've seen at least 6 other people in my class with varying Android devices. And how many iPhones have I seen? about 2.
Yeah, this Android thing is gaining steam. No wonder Apple is worried. I'll bet with Google TV rolling out, Apple has a thing or two in store for Apple TV at their press event tomorrow.
Anyone else seeing Android's everywhere?

I think it's more interesting to look at the people that have the phones. For instance, my boss has an iPhone and has absolutely no idea how to use it. Same with many people that I see with iPhones...they just have one more for the image and not for the functionality. From all the people I see with Evos, they are very finicky about their phones and have very distinct reasons for why they bought the phone.

Upvote 0
If they had planned for the high demand there would be even more, two people i know went with the moment because the evo was not in stock with no ETA (I know big mistake, tried to warn them, but they are not power users so its working fine for them). Plus they did not want to pay the tax with out any 4g. Another person wanted to get an evo too, but when she could not find one decided to just get another iphone, not even the new one, a 3gs because her old 3g screen cracked. Me talking up the evo has however helped android, my brother and sister on Verizon each got the droid incredible, my brother wanted the evo but he can't switch, still under contract, but VZ gave everybody on the plan free early upgrades so they took that instead of waiting till next year.

These are all people they lost, for the most part, they still got the Moments on sprint. But most people wont wait around for a phone to come in stock, they will just get what is there. For instance, both my brother an sister were considering the X but it would have taken awhile to get it, so they got the incredible, my bother was already leaning that way because of the dev community, my sister finally decided on the X but she was on a tight time frame since she was heading back to school and needed help to set it up, so the Incredible being in stock was the determining factor.

Upvote 0
If they had planned for the high demand there would be even more, two people i know went with the moment because the evo was not in stock with no ETA (I know big mistake, tried to warn them, but they are not power users so its working fine for them). Plus they did not want to pay the tax with out any 4g. Another person wanted to get an evo too, but when she could not find one decided to just get another iphone, not even the new one, a 3gs because her old 3g screen cracked. Me talking up the evo has however helped android, my brother and sister on Verizon each got the droid incredible, my brother wanted the evo but he can't switch, still under contract, but VZ gave everybody on the plan free early upgrades so they took that instead of waiting till next year.

These are all people they lost, for the most part, they still got the Moments on sprint. But most people wont wait around for a phone to come in stock, they will just get what is there. For instance, both my brother an sister were considering the X but it would have taken awhile to get it, so they got the incredible, my bother was already leaning that way because of the dev community, my sister finally decided on the X but she was on a tight time frame since she was heading back to school and needed help to set it up, so the Incredible being in stock was the determining factor.

Hey just as long they get Android its all good! :D

Upvote 0
Hey just as long they get Android its all good! :D

I know, with the exception of the iPhone one, they all still got android, i just think the moment will give android a bad rep, seems that sprint reps are pushing those to people who cant get the evo and don't want to wait, might have changed since the epic came out. They are liking it so far however. though a lot of stuff i recommended to them, like apps, do not show up in their market, like the nook app, idk why. The crippled phone might leave them with a bad taste.

Upvote 0
Went out to happy hour tonite and saw a guy I knew who beforehand was your typical iphone sheeple...trendy clothes, frat-attitude, you know the type. He pulled out a droid X. A year ago that would have been an iPhone without question.

Android has penetrated the dooshbag market. That is surprising.

I can count the number of iphone4's ive seen on one hand. I see android consistently. The android army rolls on!

Upvote 0
I have talked two friends into the Evo, and one more friend is trying to find one now haha. I think Android is catching up in the cell phone market. I used to be a serious iPhone fanboy, I wouldnt ever want anything else. But, I found something better.

I only have two friends with iPhone 4's...and they honestly arent happy with them. The screen is amazing. and the video/picture quality is rather nice. But the Evo outdoes just about everything else.. and Im happy with my Evo purchase. And I see Evos around more often. We do that special nod too ;)

Upvote 0
I took an international flight back from europe and for my last leg the flight had my EVO out talking to the guy next to me with a glitchy 3g iphone who hated his phone then the Flight Steward came up to me and said "Is that an EVO? I said yeah... "you cant have an EVO on this flight"
... i was thinking maybe the 4g messes with the electronics and right when i was going to show him it was in airplane mode. He whips his out and says "cause I'm the only one that can have an EVO on the flight" :p

Reactions: alene
Upvote 0
I can confidently say about 20 people have bought EVO's at my advice and at least another 20 have gotten android phones. Perhaps we should work out a deal with Sprint somehow, haha. I have noticed in the past couple of months that the number of Android phones in the wild has really started grow. I feel like this time next year they will far, far outnumber the iphones which is currently the goto smartphone for the hip 20 somethings.

Upvote 0
Since when is the iPhone the novelty device people get when they can't think of anything better? Lol.

I actually notice quite the opposite here In tallahassee... the older folks all have iPhones and the younger people here tend to just have basic text messaging phones. Those of us with jobs or with rich parents, tend to have all the newer stuff. I can only get stuff like the Evo because I have a job to pay for it...

Upvote 0
Here in St. Louis the EVO is everywhere. I went to the cardinals game last week and couldn't believe how many I saw. I think St. Louis is run by sprint with how many I see when I go out. I guess it also helps to have a pretty solid 4G signal all over the city though.

On the other side, I only know one person that got an Iphone4. The girl I know with a new Iphone got it because her dad works for ATT. I don't know anyone that just got one to upgrade.

Upvote 0
Just got my EVO yesterday (convert from AT&T and iPhone) and must say I feel that I have been missing out while I was using the iPhone.

The EVO is fantastic and the android OS, features, and overall feel outshine the iphone in many many ways, even my wife, who was hesitent to move to a new phone after "learning" to use the iphone, said she loves the phone.

So add me and my wife to the EVO family. :)

Upvote 0
Just got my EVO yesterday (convert from AT&T and iPhone) and must say I feel that I have been missing out while I was using the iPhone.

The EVO is fantastic and the android OS, features, and overall feel outshine the iphone in many many ways, even my wife, who was hesitent to move to a new phone after "learning" to use the iphone, said she loves the phone.

So add me and my wife to the EVO family. :)

Yea... You truly have to experience an EVO to understand what you're missing out on... it was the same for me. The possibilities with Android are endless. To me, all of Android's features and customizability coupled with an awesome device like the EVO just make the iPhone seem kinda boring. Not to mention Sprints cell phone plans cant be beat! Enjoy and have fun!

Upvote 0
I saw two people on the train with Evos and I struck up conversations with both of them.

1 girl from school I know has an Evo, but there are probably plenty more. I have online courses now so I'm barely on campus since the Evo has been released.

At the office (probably about 100 ppl), I believe I'm the only one with an Evo. I've seen about 3-4 Iphone 4s here though.

I did talk a good friend into switching from his feature phone to Android. The only thing is that he's on Verizon so he ordered the Droidx or whatever it's called.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones