• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Excessive CPU usage on X10

ameinild

Apr 9, 2010
Ok, so one of my other issues with my newly acquired X10 is its apparent heavy CPU usage. I would go so far as saying that the phone is close to unusable when it has just booted. So here goes my findings...

I've installed a program called CPU Usage (quite logically) which monitors CPU usage for various tasks on the phone. Here is what I get when the phone has just been booted:

PID / Name / CPU Usage
954 / Sync Feeds/Checking Service/Setting Storage/Android System / 39-58% (No, I'm not kidding)
1054 / Download Manager/DRM /23-31% (still not kidding)
1171 / Face Recognition Service / 11-12% (not as bad, but still, why is it even there???)

The worst thing is that these services don't stop using the CPU - no, they keep on running and using CPU in the designated ranges, unless I kill them.
So I go and kill them using another program I installed.

I found out that if I kill the Face Recognition Service, the CPU usage of the DRM service disappears as well. So everytime I start the device, I have to go kill this service so I can actually use the phone.

The Sync Feeds/Checking/Android service I can't kill, but even though CPU usage reports it as using between 40 and 60% CPU, it seems that another task manager do not report this CPU usage. I can also live with this, if it's a kind of background service that doesn't actually use half your CPU all the time.

So I guess my biggest problem with this is that the Face Recognition service that is run on startup takes many CPU resources, and I have to manually kill it so the phone is running at an acceptable speed. I can't explain why I get different reports for CPU usage on the Sync Feed/Android service, but maybe others can explain...

regards, Artur

pulled battery. seems to be working now. when phone is next to face, i cant press the end call button with my finger, screen goes black in like 5-10 seconds. then when i pull the phone away, it lights up.

have you noticed if you put the phone to your ear during homescreen, it vibrates briefly? and goes back to main home screen? whats that about?

Upvote 0
pulled battery. seems to be working now. when phone is next to face, i cant press the end call button with my finger, screen goes black in like 5-10 seconds. then when i pull the phone away, it lights up.

There's a proximity sensor that locks the screen when it's close to your face. It's there to prevent you from ending the call with your face by accident.

have you noticed if you put the phone to your ear during homescreen, it vibrates briefly? and goes back to main home screen? whats that about?

Ha ha, you're simply long-pressing on a widget or shortcut with your face. It vibrates when you do that. :p

Edit: Oops, it looks like you replied in the wrong thread (but then found the correct thread). No wonder it doesn't have anything to do with the original topic. Here's the correct thread: http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/93239-accidentally-ending-call-my-face.html

Upvote 0
I did as someone suggested earlier. Reboot after charging, then run Advanced Task Manager and kill all (!!). After that I let Advanced Task Killer Free (another app) run on "auto kill". Dramatically improves battery life. Went from "completely useless damn thing" to 15hrs up time with approx 2hr talk time + moderate other uses on one charge.
But no sync with standalone Outlook bugs me big time still....:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones