• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Exchange activesync will not sync with gmail + gmail push extremely slow

hwipark

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
This is my first post on the androidforums. I usually just read what other people wrote, but I can't seem to find a related post for my current problem.

I date someone overseas in S. Korea, and since there's no way to send text msgs in Korean from here, I talk to her using activesync with a gmail account. She can check emails on her phone from Korea, and my phone sends me notification everytime I get an email from her. Basically it's same as texting except it allows me to type in Korean and doesn't cost a dime.

For the reasons mentioned above, saving battery life isn't much of an option for me. I need to have activesync or gmail push running instantly. I tried using "check email every 5 minutes", but just imagine having to stay idle for 5 minutes everytime you text with your friends.

As of today, gmail push on android seems to work with 5 - 30 minutes delay (or manual refresh). However, Exchange Activesync will not even allow me to sync gmail (Different errors every time even though I'm putting the same information; gmail address, m.google.com as server address, username & password). I thought activesync just allows me to use "gmail push" on HTC mail app, so I don't quite understand why gmail app works (despite the lag), but activesync won't even let me sync my mail. Activesync last worked on 06/17/2010.

Also, gmail push works with no lag when I'm on wifi. Is this normal?
I'm starting to think there's a problem with the Sprint network or my phone. Gmail push also works instantly if my 3G bar is white. If it's greyed out, no emails come until the 3G bar turns white. Now I have to turn on AIM or MSN messenger to keep the data flowing and manually keep the 3G bar white. Then gmail push comes instantly. It's pretty ridiculous because the battery then lasts about 2-4 hours.

Do you guys think this is a hardware issue?
or issues with gmail server? or with Sprint network?
Please note that everything worked fine until 06/17/2010.

My friends are telling me both gmail push (with gmail app) and activesync (with HTC mail) work without lag. I'm having doubts because they may have other apps opened that may pull the emails rather than get true push email.

I would like to know if other people are also having the same issue.

Thank you in advance.

Initially I thought my phone had a hardware issue because my previous evo did not have this problem. After a lot of tests, I figured out what the problem was.
You need "SPRINT ZONE UpdateService" running in your background in order to get Activesync email. I don't know why this is the case, but if I have that on, my activesync emails come through. I always have Mail EASAppSvc, EASDirectpush, GtalkService, and Sprint Zone UpdateService running in the background. You can check this from Menu>Settings>Applications>Running Services.

You also need to have Enable Always-on Mobile Data, Background data, and Auto-Sync on.

A lot of people say gmail push and activesync work with Enable Always-on Data off, but it doesn't work after 20 minutes when your phone is completely idle. (For example overnight when you are asleep). The reason why many argue it works even if it's idle is because of 1. they haven't waited 20 minutes 2. There are a lot of apps that pull data (ex. weather, facebook, twitter, etc), that allows data connection to the phone and allows emails to come through. Meaning it's a pull email at that point, not true PUSH.

If you don't check your gmail push or activesync email every second, then it's a good trade off for more battery life. I have to get emails like text msgs because that's my only means of communication with my gf overseas. Plus, it's a capability that I personally NEED, so if you are like me, it's worth having less battery life.

My problem was from killing SPRINT UPDATE, so let me know if this works for you guys.

Also try hard reset. Turn your phone off, hold the volume down button on the side then press the power key. Choose "clear storage". From the stock rom, I just made sure I didn't delete anything and it works now. I personally don't recommend using task killers if you want to get your emails right away. There might be other tasks that hinder the email flow if you kill it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones