• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exporting contacts from X10

Matt43

Jun 24, 2010
My Xperia X10 has developed several faults and has to go back to SE for repair / replacement. In the meantime I plan to use my old SE C902 as a backup. I need to transfer all my contacts from the X10 to the C902.

So far I've tried ....

.... copying all my contacts to the SIM card then putting the card in the C902. The c902 then promptly declares "List Empty"

.... copying all my contacts to the memory card. Unfortunately the X10 and C902 use different memory cards.

.... sending all contacts via bluetooth using "Bluetooth File Transfer" downloaded from the market place. The result of this is "unable to send file"

.... backing up the contacts from the X10 to my laptop and then restoring them to my C902. Unfortunately the two phones use different versions of PC Suite and neither recognises the other.

I don't want to spend a week or two without access to my contacts, and short of sitting down with an old fashioned paper and pen and scrawling them all down before I send it in for repair I'm at a loss what to do!!

Any helpful suggestions gratefully received.

Use Sony Ericsson Sync, thats how I got my numbers from my old C902 to the X10. Assume you could sync them back to it. Son now has phone and not here so can't test my theory.

There is also an app called Ciacs Contact Sender but don't know whether this would be just for sending the odd one to someone you meet rather than sending all. I think its a freebie tho so again could give it a bash.

Reactions: Matt43
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. NaplesBill - have already tried that, managed to get the phonebook.dbk file via the laptop and onto the memory card of the C902 no problem. Trouble is the C902 doesn't recognise it as a viable backup option - it just seems to think it's any other file stored. Can't persuade the C902 to install it as a phonebook! Rosered - thanks will try your suggestions.

Any more suggestions gratefully received !!!!

Upvote 0
I tried all above and nothing worked. But I did get it sorted in a way not quite as painful as using pen and paper and patience. Using Phonebook and Back up contacts to memory card (saved as a .vcf file) and choosing open all file types it allowed me to save all contacts from my piece of shit X10 one click at a time. For me only having 245 contacts it was not so bad. Once this was done it was easy to configure Outlook to import these contacts and then transfer them to any phone I wanted to. Needless to say the phone will not ever again be an SE or any affiliate of either entity. 10 years of being first preference has now become not only last preference but I will advice all who are willing to listen to avoid anything from SE like the plague.....

Upvote 0
I should clarify a bit... the X10 is a piece of shit phone... but it's not alone and with a bit of support it could be considered a reasonable phone..... but support is not only lacking, when it's offered it's useles tripe. I don't blame the people trying to give service, there's not much more that they could say than "sorry that functionality is not available on our phones"... it would be nice if they could say "that and every other problem with this piece of shit phone has been addressed and if you update tomorrow you'll see an improvement that put's it just above the Nokia 6110.. but with HD video./.....

Reactions: rajhaf2003
Upvote 0
i dont see why people say this phone is not functional.
it calls, it texts, you can check email, surf the net, social network, take pics & video.
what else were you expecting?

i'm pretty bored of people saying how unfunctional the phone is when it does everything you should expect from a phone.
also its very customisable to make it do what you want better, this is the point of an android phone... customisation.

Upvote 0
I'm with Ramble_on on this.

I have never encountered so many annoying functionality problems with any other device as I have with the X10.

I mean the bloody touch screen is nothing short of appalling for starters... It's a bloody touch screen phone FFS!!!

As for the contacts issue. My-oh-my. It was easier to backup and restore contacts on the Nokia 3310!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones