1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Extended Battery + Standard Battery Calibration

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by solidspidey, Dec 20, 2011.

1. solidspidey

solidspidey Newbie

I just got my precious yesterday [​IMG] and am currently using the standard battery. This isnt a "bad battery life" thread, I want to let the battery cycle a few times before coming up with a conclusion on battery life.

Anyways my question is, in the future if I plan on going back and forth between an extended battery and standard battery how do I configure both batteries so ICS knows the min/max capacity for both? Do I even need to? Also, I have battery monitor widget installed and there you can create profiles for multiple batteries but I dont think that affects how the ICS views the battery capacities.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!! ​

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Android Enthusiast

One tip I can give you is to fully charge each battery before 1st initial use, as stated on the packaging of the Extended Battery. (Instructions come directly from Samsung!)

3. sessman

sessman Well-Known Member

why do people think that this needs to be done? does it make any sense that this would be required? completely unnecessary

4. solidspidey

solidspidey Newbie

Yea you have a point. With my previous experience with my OG droid and new roms and stuff battery calibration really made a difference and had to be done right. But with stock you are right you just charge and go.

Do you think if a new rom was installed separate battery calibrations would be necessary or anything like that or no?

5. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

I don't believe in this conditioning and calibration crap. I didn't do either one and right now I am at 22hrs 45min on the stock battery with 24% remaining.

6. Android_LIFE

I dont believe in it either, but fully charged my extended battery before its 1st initial use, ONLY because Samsung instructed to do so.
    Just playing it safe as I have already gotten 2 DOA G Nex's... :(

7. jokeefe10

jokeefe10 Well-Known Member

and you're running 4G all day?

8. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I'm going through 3 charge cycles. It's not that big of a deal, I just plug it in at night when I got to bed. If it's not quite dead yet, I play a bunch of 1080p videos via youtube over wifi with the screen brightness turned all the way up lol. After this 3rd charge cycle, I'll feel better about plugging it in and unplugging it periodically (which I will need to do once I'm at my desk at work, as I don't want to leave it on my desk for someone to steal!).

9. solidspidey

solidspidey Newbie

wow that is some serious bad luck. Third times a charm right ;-) I found this information on droidforums.net and it was very interesting.

I don't think that ICS (or any operating system for that matter) "knows" or "learns" a battery that is inserted into a device (see disclaimer). Instead, the battery status (charge percentage) is calculated as a function of battery max and min voltage, with LiPo batteries typically having a max voltage of about 4.2V and a (safe) minimum voltage of about 3.0V (per cell). These are pre-defined values that are driven by the battery technology itself, and do not differ substantially from one battery to the next. So, our phones are designed to charge a battery until it reaches 4.2v and discharge until it reaches 3.0V. An extended battery simply takes longer to go from max voltage to min voltage. When a LiPo is "dead" it's not actually dead, it has just reached the low voltage cutoff of 3.00V and the phone shuts off. Theoretically you could run your phone for some time longer on that battery, however, you risk damaging the battery, so manufacturers put a fail-safe low voltage cutoff in the phone.

Bit of useless knowledge: When I run my R/C car and Heli, the low voltage cutoff is set at 3.3V per cell so as to ensure sufficient battery power to return the model to a "safe zone" without discharging the battery beyond it's safe low voltage limit. The signal is a loud chirping sound and reduced RPM's on the motors.

Disclaimer: I don't know this as fact, rather I'm basing this statement on my knowledge of LiPo batteries as used in R/C applications. There may be some slight advantage in more accurately determining remaining battery life if the OS "knows" the battery (but I kinda doubt it).

maybe someone else can chime in and provide more insight?

RazorSharp likes this.
  10. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

No and I'm not crazy enough to think it would last that long on 4g ;)

11. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

So is it "bad" to plug the phone into A/C or a car charger without letting it finish charging? Also, should we not leave it in the car charger when navigating and let it almost die, THEN plug it in? Does any of this matter with these Lithium Polymer batteries? Just wondering how conscious of it I should be when plugging/unplugging it in both a wall socket and the car charger.

12. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

No none of it matters.

jkc120 likes this.
  13. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

Ok, I never noticed any ill effects from charging my dinc at my desk off/on all day, but figured I would ask to be sure. :)

14. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast

i'm reutrning the extended battery tomorrow. waste of money, even at %50 off. made no difference in battery life, and makes it so your phone doesn't fit in any case on the market (i'm not cramming my phone in there like some have done :eek: )

15. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert

I don't think I've gone through enough charge cycles and similar usage patterns to conclude the extended battery is better or worse. But just simple math would tell you it will give you ~13.5% better life. If it were some non-OEM battery, I wouldn't just compare the mAh, but they are both samsung-labeled so I am definitely inclined to believe it will be close to 13.5% more juice.

For now, I'm using my phone naked and loving it. It's a little slick on the back, but I love the feel of it too much to put a case on it and hide its beauty :)

16. Android_LIFE

The Extended battery DOES fit in the Otterbox Defender Case for the G Nex.
    Its what Im using right now.

17. blessy

blessy Lurker

can anyone pls suggest me an extended battery for i9250

18. PetiePal

PetiePal Android Expert

Charge phone fully. Drain to empty.

Do this for about 3-4 days and you'll have a strong callibration done

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews