• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

F A C E B O O K: "Why I Don't Use It Anymore"

Rico ANDROID

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
In Cell Phone SIMetery
I have stopped logging into my account for several reasons. Mainly since corporations can use it to decide on your employnent. Secondly, because of this email i got. Each time there's "security upgrades", it seems F B exposes more of users personal info and "association" ti search engjnes, ads, and e-t-c.

By the time you log on to RE-DO your "preferences" your info could already be picked up and distributed. I logged in today since almost a year just to get in touch with a friend. I got BOMBARDED with email of "friends" requests and other junk. As before, the friends requests DID NOT initiate from persons i knew. They were some FB generated notification that tricked me into "accepting" then finding out it ended up being ME sending and 'initiating' a friend request. So today i am turning off this account and deactivating the associated email.

The email below? Every time you have to go and reset your preferences......i is done with fubu....i meant, facebook.

This Email was received Sunday Nov 3, 2013
Hi Bob LaBlah

In a few days we'll be removing an old Facebook setting you've used in the past. You'll see an announcement on Facebook and have several chances to learn about this before then. We just wanted to tell you about this in advance so you have time to review what's changing and understand your privacy options.

What's changing:
We're removing an old search setting called "Who can look up your Timeline by name"—but this won't change who can see what you've shared on Facebook.

What did this setting do?
"Who can look up your Timeline by name" controlled who could find your Timeline by typing your name in search.

What will happen when the setting is removed?
Anyone will be able to look up your Timeline by your name — but if they go to your Timeline, they'll only see what they already have permission to see. Removing this setting doesn't change who can see your photos, status updates or other things you've shared.

Why is Facebook removing this setting?
When we created this setting, the only way to find you on Facebook was to search for your specific name. Now, people can come across your Timeline in other ways: for example if a friend tags you in a photo, which links to your Timeline, or if people search for phrases like "People who like The Beatles," or "People who live in Seattle," in Graph Search.

Today, the best way to manage who sees your stuff is to use your Privacy Shortcuts (just click the at the top of every page of the Facebook website), and to choose who to share with when you post new photos and updates.

What's next?
You'll have more chances to review this info before the setting is removed—and we'll remind you on Facebook.

Want to review your privacy choices now? Here are some things you can do:
If you want to quickly limit the audience of things you've shared in the past to Friends, visit your privacy settings.

Each time you share a photo, link or status update, you can set the privacy for that specific post.

Check out what you've shared in the past—and who can see that info—by going to your activity log. To get to your activity log, click the at the top of any page to open your privacy shortcuts.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message and for being part of Facebook.

The Facebook Team

Reactions: Steven58
I deleted my FB account a few years ago. My reasons were multi-fold, and included hating their clunky, clumsy, non-intuitive interface and not liking their poor excuse for privacy. Over the years my feelings have only intensified as I've learned more and more about their privacy breaches, their covert sharing of users' data, etc. I would NEVER go back. Besides, FB is tomorrow's AOL. Once the bandwagon effect is over, it'll fade into obscurity like MySpace, GeoCities, AOL, and others...

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
Upvote 0
Man! I agree too on BOTH posts! What really, REALLY. I mean R E A L L Y. puzzled me too was HOW people jumped on FB and posted PUBLICLY their dates of birth, phone numbers, email, work number AND even the name of where they worked,,,,, just to name a few items most of the users did. I dojt know if thhey still do or if its visible, but the sharimg your info behimd the scenes was what turned me off too.

Plus i HATED every time i logged in i noticed my "security preferences" were defaulted back to everyone and for how long? Ok i am shutting that account off.

Love yours and the REV-Ghosts avatars! And

11836.10240200.jpg

Upvote 0
Love it!!!!!!

Ooooooooh L A W D have mercy! Rofl

Facebook.gif.gif

tin_foil_hat_cat_man.jpeg

Thats good! In fact, thats how i started out, with it being just a quick general easy way to contact someone....until the account was "imploded" with spam and fake friends invite from feeding off of friends and relatives profiles who posted the world on their accounts.

Then it started associating me with social habits of others, spamming me with all sorts of stuff, ....tried changing settings etc, but it still had me associated with things i knew nothing of.......just too much hastle to 'say hay' to another person good ole email accounts did ok........(but then again..now live mail sends ads....he he...PASS me one of them aluminimun hats!bi neeeessed it bro!)

Upvote 0
The friend requests can get annoying. 90% of mine are from the Philippines. I think it's an annoying part of their culture where they browse through their friends' friend lists and add everybody. I don't understand it at all and it annoys me to no end.

I think that is very true! its sort of a contest to see who gets the most friends and some from "offshore" tend to want to friend as many "Merican" friends (hey! we are offshore to them too, right?..lol)

Either way, it got just too bothersome to maintain and not knowing what's been compromised until receiving the email of a change and "you need to review your settings" types of notices.

Upvote 0
I still have a fb account, though I don't go giving all my info to them, as I never really trusted things like that. It is a useful way to keep in touch with some friends and family. I do laugh when I get request from FB, yahoo, etc to give them my cell number "to improve my security". I'm sorry they don't need that info, and I'm certainly not going to give it to them...

Upvote 0
I deleted my FB account because it was too addictive, clogged with junk requests, it makes people too lazy to communicate about events and such without it. I miss a few people, but for the most part, I'm glad I dumped it.

I still have a fb account, though I don't go giving all my info to them, as I never really trusted things like that. It is a useful way to keep in touch with some friends and family. I do laugh when I get request from FB, yahoo, etc to give them my cell number "to improve my security". I'm sorry they don't need that info, and I'm certainly not going to give it to them...

Yep that how i started out, just for staying in touch. But it got out of hand when profiles and such started getting intertwined and what went on between you and your buddy became everybodys business "friends and sub-sub-subfriend-layers deep', like if you are a friend of a friend of a friend....your account was open to anyone thst taps into a link even if you didnt know the person. Stuff like that and having to constantly try and re-re-re-reblock people you dont know was just a waste of time when it defaulted again.

And MAN. from day 1 i couldnt believe how much info people put out there. Aint no site gittn my phone number. Sheesh!

Upvote 0
Remember, if you decide to leave facebook, you must cancel your account by telling them to cancel your account. To simply deactivate it means they still have all the rights to the content and connections on your deactivated page. They make deactivating easy to do and hope people assume that is the same as cancelling.

I hadnt thought about that and with all these changes, i bet its an ordeal to terminate. Do you have some imfo you can post that would provide needed steps on permanantly turning off and assuring FB is notified through the channels thst guarantee the account is not dormant bit really terminated?.

Heh- i can think of ways to "make" em terminate it....but i dont wanna be a "registered offender elsewhere"

Upvote 0
If you deactivate your account, your timeline disappears from the Facebook service immediately. People on Facebook won't be able to search for you, though some info, like messages you sent, may still be visible to others. We also save your timeline information (ex: friends, photos, interests, etc.) in case you want to come back.https://www.facebook.com/help/www/224562897555674

If you do not think you will use Facebook again and would like your account deleted, we can take care of this for you. Keep in mind that you will not be able to reactivate your account or retrieve any of the content or information you have added. If you would still like your account deleted, click "Delete My Account".
https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Upvote 0
On Facebook, a growing teenage wasteland - CNN.com

Along with upping marketing campaigns.

I don't have anything on the timeline. I don't post personal, just pics of cats. I only check daughter's page, and if I want to tell her something, I usually tell her I will text on Viber, or use Dropbox. Didn't use my right name, never filled out any other info. My boss and other former coworkers can't find me. Neither can other relatives.
Any invites get refused.

I've also banned any + messages in Thunderbird. Deleted automatically. I didn't use the name associated with the phone or tablet. I just use that addy for potential pests and spammers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones