• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help F/W advice before I sell my Galx

lavellep

Jan 7, 2010
Hi All,

So, I've finally decided to sell my month old S2. Just a bit bored of Android and think I'm going to go back to the virtual prison of Apple!

Before I put it on eBay though, I think I need to fix the FW. One user really helpfully provided me with details of how to update and root it last week to a leaked FW but when I load it up, it boots with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on it. Which is fine for me but I think if anyone buys this phone, they may be discouraged or think they have got a dud unit when they see it.

So I need to get rid of that. I have looked at the instructions on XDA which, although it is a great site, is obviously aimed at the more developery natured of us and, frankly, it may as well be written backwards in Russian for all the sense I can make of it.

STUPIDLY (I know), I didn't note down my FW number before I replaced it but it was a generic UK unlocked handset that I purchased from Amazon UK so I suspect it was a generic FW. I have found one on XDA that is the generic Carphone Warehouse build and wonder if a) that one will do and more crucially b) will it get rid of the yellow triangle?

Thanks in advance for your help folks.

Phil

hmm, as far as i know, flashign a stock firmware will remove root, and the yellow triangle as well. so if this is the biggest thing u want to fix, and the person buying it doesnt mind that its been flashed, u dont need a usb jig to reset the counter, just flash a stock firmware (stock XXKG5 should do it, as its official). however, if u wanna reset the flash count etc, then go with the above post, and reset it via a usb jig, after u flash the stock firmware first

Upvote 0
if you flash a stock kernel, you'll still have the yellow triangle

if you flash a new firmware, it should go. If you want to sell it with the latest firmware, then choose KG5 or KH3.

if you want to make it look like you haven't messed around with it, then any of the branded UK firmwares should work - but it's a bit dishonest and it may be more appealing to sell it preloaded with the latest firmware.

as for the jig, only needed to rest the counter if you want to keep the warranty valid. no need to get a jig if warranty not an issue.

Upvote 0
hmm, as far as i know, flashign a stock firmware will remove root, and the yellow triangle as well. so if this is the biggest thing u want to fix, and the person buying it doesnt mind that its been flashed, u dont need a usb jig to reset the counter, just flash a stock firmware (stock XXKG5 should do it, as its official). however, if u wanna reset the flash count etc, then go with the above post, and reset it via a usb jig, after u flash the stock firmware first

Well, maybe you are right. Not that I've tried. Just that it seems a bit counter-intuitive if it was so easy to get rid of the triangle.

Have you read of anyone doing the above, and successfully getting rid of the yellow triangle? I might need this knowledge a year later... :D

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.

That's exactly all I want to do - remove the yellow triangle.

The only reason is that if I sell this to someone on eBay and that's the first thing they say, they may assume it's a fault and it'll be a pain in the neck to then explain why the yellow triangle which looks like it is warning against danger is actually not a bad thing.

Heshanj - you suggested KG5 (official) or KH3 (leaked) and I installed the latter originally.

WHen you say branded, is that like the CPW one I mentioned that I saw listed on XDA? And do I reinstall it using ODIN like I did the last one?

Also, a kernel and stock firmware? What's the difference? I thought that they were the same thing!

Argh - jail breaking the iPhone was so much easier for me :D

Upvote 0
i recommend KG5 coz its official, and once the buyer's region receives an update newer than KG5, he can even update via kies :) KH3 is frankenstein, and u'd have to flash newer updates via Odin only. but yeah, its best to mention this phone has been flashed/rooted. unless u can find the the firmware u got it with, and reset the counter.

EDIT: kernel is just part of the firmware. theyre not the same thing :)

and if u can find the carrier branded firmware, flash that via Odin. and if ur going for that, u might as well buy the USB jig and reset the flash counter.. and ur good, u can sell it without mentioning the root etc.

Upvote 0
Well, maybe you are right. Not that I've tried. Just that it seems a bit counter-intuitive if it was so easy to get rid of the triangle.

Have you read of anyone doing the above, and successfully getting rid of the yellow triangle? I might need this knowledge a year later... :D

its a bit harder to remove the triangle if u want to maintain root access. however, if u just flash a new stock firmware, u lose root, and u lose the yellow triangle too. thats wat the OP needs i believe :D hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones