• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook 1.3/1.3.1 continuous Google Contact sync

Hi All, After installing Facebook 1.3 and 1.3.1 on my Eris with 2.1 my Google Contacts are stuck in a sync loop and draining my battery. It tries to sync, gets an error about contact sync not being available, tries to sync, gets error, etc over and over. Since I'm not able to uninstall Facebook, only uninstall upgrades, going back to an older version causes the non-stop syncing to stop. WOO HOO!

Has anyone else experienced this? I want the new Facebook 1.3.1, but the I can't live without contact sync. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I experienced this for the first two days or so. My process for getting it to stop the loop was as follows:

• Removed the account from the "Accounts and Sync" settings.
  • Deleted permissions to access "Facebook for Android" and "Facebook for HTC Sync" on my Facebook account.
  • Added the accounts back to the "Accounts and Sync" section - starting with general Facebook and then Facebook for HTC Sync.
  • Changed the settings to only update once per day and let it sync overnight while connected to wi-fi.

This got me out of the loop. Unfortunately it yielded another problem - now for the 260 contacts I have syncing the contacts app is taking up nearly 35MB of memory causing the low internal storage warning.

Any suggestions on that one? I hope the steps I used get you out of the loop.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I wiped my phone and started clean. Everything looked good until I installed FB 1.3.1 again. Every time sync fails or gets stuck in the loop, I get multiple copies of my contacts. These copies are not visible in People, but rather when addressing SMS messages in any SMS program. The copies are not synced back to Google.

How can one 3rd party program mess up an entire phone?

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I found a workaround for my issue. The problems seems to be with Facebook for HTC Sense and Facebook both syncing with Contacts. I removed Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and my duplicate SMS addresses went away. I then removed Facebook Sync. I added back Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and set Facebook 1.3.1 to not sync at all. My phone is no longer stuck in a sync loop and I do not have duplicate SMS entries.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I found a workaround for my issue. The problems seems to be with Facebook for HTC Sense and Facebook both syncing with Contacts. I removed Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and my duplicate SMS addresses went away. I then removed Facebook Sync. I added back Facebook for HTC Sense Sync and set Facebook 1.3.1 to not sync at all. My phone is no longer stuck in a sync loop and I do not have duplicate SMS entries.

So doing this takes care of the looping issue and the contacts issue at the same time? Thanks

Upvote 0

I am a newbie so pardon my ignorance. When you say you set Facebook 1.3.1 to not sync at all was that in the app or the Eris's accounts/sync menu?

Upvote 0
You must REMOVE the accounts, not just set them to not-sync.

Here's what I did:

1. Removed Facebook for HTC Sense from the Sync Menu
2. Removed Facebook Sync from the Sync menu
3. Reboot the phone
4. Add Facebook for HTC Sense tot he Sync menu
5. Open Facebook (it should act like you're opening it for the 1st time) and set it to not sync with your contact. You will see an entry for it in the Sync menu, but the green circle will be grey.

These steps worked for me, but may not work for everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones