• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook App for Andriod

Yeah, it will use data when it checks for notifications and updates. Try using the mobile app, you can leave it signed in but it doesn't update anything unless you actually open the page. It wont sync your contacts either though, if that is important to you.
I just use the mobile site, it is easier at some level.

Upvote 0
No, I mean the actual mobile site. Www.m.facebook.com
I honestly don't know how much data the app uses, I don't use it anymore because I don't need my contacts synced and the notifications never seem to work anyway.
the mobile site uses zero data unless you are in it though. Your contacts wont be synced.

I do the same thing as you, I only view the website and refuse to use the application, but that is mainly due to the fact that the damn thing would use GPS for 30+ minutes after I used it about 50% of the time...

Needless to say I kicked that little SOB out the door and am now using a shortcut to go to the mobile site, which works much better if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Okay, so just to make sure I understand... the facebook for the HTC is the one that does all the syncing and that one would run up the data? If I use the facebook app (not the HTC one) I can stay logged in without having to worry about using data (unless I open it)?

Most of us stay away from FB for HTC as you don't need it at all; it's doesn't actually have anything to do with using FB itself. I use the App and in a lot of phones you can choose whether to manual or auto-synch the app so that way you can stay "logged in" but basically in an unnetworked state until you choose to synch.

Reactions: barbj13
Upvote 0
Most of us stay away from FB for HTC as you don't need it at all; it's doesn't actually have anything to do with using FB itself. I use the App and in a lot of phones you can choose whether to manual or auto-synch the app so that way you can stay "logged in" but basically in an unnetworked state until you choose to synch.

I appreciate the feedback! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones