• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Factory reset question

bargepole

Lurker
Dec 2, 2013
Hi,

I will shortly be disposing of my 2012 nexus 7, (I've bought a 2013), and was wondering if factory reset means it will revert to the OS version it came out of the factory with, which I think that was one of the jelly beans.
It's currently running on kit kat and has never been rooted, if that makes any difference?

Also how long should the reset take and is there any chance of me ending up with a brick?

TIA

It will reset to whatever is currently installed. It clears all user data (including installed apps) but it won't remove any changes you may have made to the system while rooted (if it ever has been), nor will it change the lock state of the bootloader.

There are of course risks involved, but they are low if all you want is a "data wipe" with the factory reset option, which takes only a few seconds. Since you say it was never rooted (is the bootloader still locked?) then that's all you need do :)

Reactions: bargepole
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones