• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Faster Battery Drain After A Full Charge

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with my Samsung Galaxy S4 thats more of an annoyance and a mystery than it is a problem, but I am nevertheless very curious to know whats causing it.
I purchased the phone new about 6 months ago and the battery generally performs very well. In fact
when I'm home I perform what I call "Idle Tests", meaning I don't use the phone at all for hours at a time with all apps closed and power saving activated and monitor battery drain. Under these conditions, when the battery is between about 25% to 95% it only drops about .5 to 1% an hour.
Now, if I charge the battery to 100% and unplug it immediately after its finished charging it will drop at a rate of about 1.5 to sometimes as much as 2% an hour until it gets down to about 95% and then it gradually slows back down to the normal discharge rate of about .5 to 1% an hour. To be honest, this temporary fast discharge does not occur after every full charge, but it does happen more often than not, which for me adds even more mystery to the issue.
Does anyone know how or why this happens and why it sometimes doesn't happen? Again, its not a major issue but I'm eager to learn as much as possible about smartphone technology and am as curious as the proverbial cat as to why these phones sometimes behave the way they do. I would welcome and appreciate any insight anyone can provide and offer my gratitude and thanks in advance.

Possibly some background app got running, and used up some battery, but really it's just something you shouldn't be worrying about. If you want to learn about the batteries used in smartphones, take a look at the site called battery university.
Thanks for the advice and info about battery university. I'll check it out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones