• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Does this update take away root?

if you are rooted, most OTA for updates for the ROM (PRL updates you download manually will be fine) will fail to install and you end up rebooting your phone again. I had to unroot to go from fg31 to fh29 then I rooted it again. I just disable the framework from checking so i am not annoyed by it.

Codegerm

Upvote 0
I just picked up BOOST Galaxy S2, started it up and was prompted to do the FI22 update and I did.

I want to root this phone, I was going to go ahead and try the method sticked in the "all things root guide" but read that somebodies 3G stopped working after using that method post FI22 update.

Does anybody know for sure how to go about rooting with no issues, I just got this bad boy and would hate for it to brick.

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Just rooted and installed Agat. I have a couple questions about the FI22 update.

1) Is it true it will take away 3G if rooted?

2) If not will it work to voodoo ota root keep, temp unroot, accept OTA, then restore?

3) If I need to sat away from FI22 what app are you stopping in Autostarts? Nevermind on this question. Got the answer thanks to Codegerm.

UPDATE: I was able to update to FI22 via Kies, but it broke root, and restored stock recovery. Going to try to reroot with same method again

Ok, I was able to reroot with Agat, using same method. And I can confirm that 3G still works.

Upvote 0
Just rooted and installed Agat. I have a couple questions about the FI22 update.

1) Is it true it will take away 3G if rooted?

2) If not will it work to voodoo ota root keep, temp unroot, accept OTA, then restore?

3) If I need to sat away from FI22 what app are you stopping in Autostarts? Nevermind on this question. Got the answer thanks to Codegerm.

UPDATE: I was able to update to FI22 via Kies, but it broke root, and restored stock recovery. Going to try to reroot with same method again

Ok, I was able to reroot with Agat, using same method. And I can confirm that 3G still works.

WOuld like an update if possible, did you have to return to stock, root, to keep root ?

OR

Were you able to root FI22 and if so please let me know how if its a different method then the one in the forums.

Upvote 0
Ok so I am a little unclear. I kept getting the update message for FI22 I tried several times and it would try than it would show me a white Triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. So thanks to Codegerm and autostarts I disabled the message. I am wondering if there are any benefits to upgrading to FI22 and how I should do it. DO I just download it manually from the phone or do I download something from Samsung and use Odin ? What do I do if I want this update ?

Upvote 0
Ok so I am a little unclear. I kept getting the update message for FI22 I tried several times and it would try than it would show me a white Triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. So thanks to Codegerm and autostarts I disabled the message. I am wondering if there are any benefits to upgrading to FI22 and how I should do it. DO I just download it manually from the phone or do I download something from Samsung and use Odin ? What do I do if I want this update ?

Samsung lists the update as bug fixes. I myself rooted under FH29 and have since updated my AGAT kernel (based of FI27) and also flashed to the FI27 Baseband (modem). I am not having any issues with my phone the only bug I had went away when Google play (I wish they would have kept it named "Android Market" Google-Play sounds lame lol) was updated (the voice input in search in that app would sometimes blank the screen and I had to reboot). If you are wanting to have FI22 you can always unroot, let the phone update to FI22 then re root, but I don't think there is much change.

Codegerm

Upvote 0
Samsung lists the update as bug fixes. I myself rooted under FH29 and have since updated my AGAT kernel (based of FI27) and also flashed to the FI27 Baseband (modem). I am not having any issues with my phone the only bug I had went away when Google play (I wish they would have kept it named "Android Market" Google-Play sounds lame lol) was updated (the voice input in search in that app would sometimes blank the screen and I had to reboot). If you are wanting to have FI22 you can always unroot, let the phone update to FI22 then re root, but I don't think there is much change.

Codegerm

I am gonna go with if aint broke dont fix it. Phone runs very well. No problems. Other than I play Modern War alot and that games freezes up. Thanks so much for the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones