• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File Manager

and I am just not sure if this is really a necessary thing?

They just let you see every file on your card.

What are the pro’s and con’s of a File Manager?

There aren't any cons. The pros are that it lets you see all of your files.

As a noob, is this something I even need?

Its always helpful to have one installed. I use Astro. Whenever I need to email a file, it helps to find where the file is. You can also organize your files into folders as well, just like windows or mac.

I assume a file manager is to look at the contents of the SD card and move things around, but since my phone is so ‘smart’ – doesn’t it do this already, putting things where they should be?

Correct, but a file manager lets you see where everything is, and organize it how you want.

Upvote 0
What are the pro’s and con’s of a File Manager? As a noob, is this something I even need?
Your call. Think of a File Manager like Windows Explorer if you're a Windows user. I don't recall what the Mac equivalent is called.

I assume a file manager is to look at the contents of the SD card and move things around, but since my phone is so ‘smart’ – doesn’t it do this already, putting things where they should be?
To some degree. However, if you need to specifically place/move a file or manage folders then you'll probably want a file manager. "Smart" doesn't mean "psychic" or "able to predict exactly what you specifically want". The only thing smart really means in the context of cell phones is "a higher end data capable phone". Your smart phone isn't any smarter than your PC (which is likely far more powerful than your smart phone and still can't automatically move every file for you) in this sense and file managers are useful on both of them for the same reasons.

To give you an example, let's say you download an MP3 via the browser and you want to use it as an alarm. The browser's only going to download the file to the Download folder. If you want to use the MP3 as an alarm then you'd need to move the MP3 from Download to the Alarms folder (and you might even need to create the Alarms folder if you don't have one). You'd definitely need a file manager to do this.

I use Astro quite a bit. YMMV, of course. Some people won't have any need for one. As I said, whether you need one or not is your call to make.

Can I mess things up?
Yup. Just like you can with Windows Explorer. The system files, your apps (and their cache and data) are located elsewhere and protected if you're not rooted though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones