• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firestick 4K troubleshoot

Hi, new to these forms so hope this post ok. I am having stutter/freeze issues on relatively new Firestick 4k. This happens after a while of good streaming and affects Netflix,various players, youtube etc. everything seems to be working fine, the all of a sudden picture freezes. Happens with/without proxy. I want to rule out cause as device itself, as I believe ot is internet provider (Virgin) but need to troubleshoot firestick to show this in logs.
Thank you

Hi, new to these forms so hope this post ok. I am having stutter/freeze issues on relatively new Firestick 4k. This happens after a while of good streaming and affects Netflix,various players, youtube etc. everything seems to be working fine, the all of a sudden picture freezes. Happens with/without proxy. I want to rule out cause as device itself, as I believe ot is internet provider (Virgin) but need to troubleshoot firestick to show this in logs.
Thank you
have you tried rebooting your router?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
have you tried rebooting your router?
Yes, and Firestick. Router shows around 950-980k, around 310-330 on wifi. Things I am going to try :-
Netgear router to manage QOS
Gb ethernet adaptor for Firestick
This seems to have worsened when I moved from 360mbs to gbit - instead of improving as I thought/hoped.
it is almost as if it is a caching problem on device since it manifests AFTER a period of working beautifully. I checked network speeds - around 300-330 not on notdvpn, around 130-150 on notdvpn, so this should be fine. What I really need is a way to troubleshoot this by setting up debug logging - i need to determine if device or ISP at fault. I am fairly sure it is not apps as happens on all streams across apps. Any suggestions welcome (apart from reboot device/router: clear app caches (I do this habitually)).
Sorry for extended post

Upvote 0
How was it working before you switched to the 4k?

It was working OK on a MINIX box, but the Firestick was supposed to be an upgrade

What internet speed are you paying for and is the router outputting at that speed?

As per already mentioned, 1GBps and getting around 950 Mbps over ethernet (on laptop) and around 310-330Mbps on WiFi

Is the firestick setup for wifi or hard wired?

Currently WiFi, but once gadget arrives will use ethernet wired connection

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I've used my firestick ethernet wired for a while now and no issues with video stuttering or streaming problems. I get 1GB speed from my isp but my router maxes out at 300mbps... Until I buy a better router that handles 1GB output speed.
And did you have the same kind of issues when you were using wifi ? Reason I ask is because before the Firestick, I had a NVIDIA Shield Pro, and whether I used on wired or wireless, it was pretty poor performance. This is the raeson I need to know if there is a way of troubleshooting the actual Firestick device ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones