1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Firmware update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wendy Sue, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:10 PM.

1. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    My phone updated to the latest Software Version last night and it has removed the ability to assign specific notification sounds for Groups AND individual contacts. Can I undo this update? Would a factory reset give me back that ability???

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Depending on your model number and current Android version, you might be able to downgrade back to your previous version.
    A factory reset will only erase User Data, you will still be on the current Android version installed.
    Have you dug through the settings to see if they might have moved that feature under a different menu option?

svim likes this.
  3. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    I believe I have searched everything I frig'n could.
    Model # SM-G930T
    Android Version 8.0.0
    I appreciate your expertise, if I should be able to undo the dang update.
    [edit - I am still able to assign specific ringtones; but, the message notification option is gone]

#3 Wendy Sue, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:10 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM
  4. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Wendy Sue,

Where was that option located? I have the same model Samsung Galaxy S7 (from T-Mobile) that's downloading the latest Android update but I cannot find the options you describe where I thought they would logically be. That might help in figuring out where they went.

5. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Another thought, just having looked at my phone and found those settings hidden at the very bottom of the info for a contact (didn't look for group), but did the update switch you back to the Android Contacts app (which on the Android 7 iteration looks like an orange square outline with a line drawing of a male head inside) instead of keeping you on the Google Contacts app (which looks like a blue square with a white "generic human - probably male" icon in the middle)?

If that's what happened try getting Google Contacts again from the Play Store.

6. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Update just completed on my device and I do see the custom notification sounds per contact (and conversation) are gone.

However, a quick web search indicates that the hue and cry from users about this being removed was loud, and was heard. See this article at xda-developers: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-messages-custom-ringtones-contacts/

Looks like you can install an updated version of the Samsung Messages app and get it back. You could also switch to Textra or similar and get it back.

lunatic59 and Jfalls63 like this.
  7. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    Viewing a contact, scrolling to bottom there is 'view more' - The notification setting used to be there.

(Edit - *Editing a contact* - not viewing a contact)

Attached Files:

8. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    These settings are in My Contacts. If I update Messages or use a different messaging app, you're saying it will fix the contacts, so I can have specific message sound for, example, my daughter???

9. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    (My icons now)

Attached Files:

10. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    Sorry I've got so many questions here... Is this the Google contacts app u r referring to?

Attached Files:

11. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    First, with regard to your question about Google Contacts, yes, those screenshots are for the correct app, but it does not restore the custom text message notification sound.

The only things I've found that do that are updating to the latest version of Samsung messaging, and the custom sound is arranged in the messaging app for a given person who's messaged you (whether in your contacts or not), or changing to an alternate texting app that supports this such as Textra SMS or Chomp SMS or Mood Messenger (or others that support the custom notification tone option, and there are many).

12. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    By the way, make sure to read the permissions required by any app you might consider using to replace the native Messaging.

Looking at the three I listed, Textra appears to be the most conservative regarding what it seeks permission for and all seem necessary (except, possibly, for "retrieve running apps" under Device & App History).

Chomp, too, seems reasonable. The only two permissions I have questions about are "Read sensitive log data" under Device & App History and "Control system backup and restore" under Other.

Mood, by contrast, is downright scary in terms of asking for permissions I'd never give any app. Under Calendar it wants:
    • read calendar events plus confidential information
    • add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owner's knowledge
    and under Other it wants:
    • download files without notification
    • receive data from the internet
    • control flashlight
    • use accounts on the device
    • modify system settings (possibly innocuous, but who knows?)
    • read Google service configuration.

People tend to install apps without ever reading the permissions, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't even suggesting an app that asks for the kind of carte blanche, and carte blanche in secret, that Mood Messenger does!

13. Wendy Sue

Wendy Sue Lurker
    None

Wednesday
    A few yrs ago, I tried the LG G5; but, returned it because it didn't have this feature. (Went back to Galaxy S5 for this reason) I am deeply irritated that it's been taken from me because of a frig'n Update??? I appreciate all the info & I did set the different notification sounds through the existing conversations. If you find a way to get the feature back, (within the contacts,) be sure to get me that info! & just to be sure, un-doing the update is either not possible or wouldn't bring the feature back... Right?❓

14. Bri the Tech Guy

Jan 21, 2017
    Male
    Believe me, I feel your pain, as this sort of thing has happened to most of us at one time or another.

One of the great strengths of the Android platform, though, is the plethora of alternative apps and, in fact, alternative custom ROMs for these devices if one is willing to root them and install a custom recovery. One need not stick with the default messaging app, that's for sure. I would not be holding my breath for the return of the feature that's been removed from contacts any time in the near future.

When it comes right down to it, though, I count myself very lucky that Samsung/T-Mobile continue to push out major Android version updates for the Galaxy S7. As Android is progressing security is becoming a far more significant concern, and Android 8.0/Oreo is a major step forward in that realm.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.