• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firmware update

Depending on your model number and current Android version, you might be able to downgrade back to your previous version.
A factory reset will only erase User Data, you will still be on the current Android version installed.
Have you dug through the settings to see if they might have moved that feature under a different menu option?

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
I believe I have searched everything I frig'n could.
Model # SM-G930T
Android Version 8.0.0
I appreciate your expertise, if I should be able to undo the dang update.
[edit - I am still able to assign specific ringtones; but, the message notification option is gone]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another thought, just having looked at my phone and found those settings hidden at the very bottom of the info for a contact (didn't look for group), but did the update switch you back to the Android Contacts app (which on the Android 7 iteration looks like an orange square outline with a line drawing of a male head inside) instead of keeping you on the Google Contacts app (which looks like a blue square with a white "generic human - probably male" icon in the middle)?

If that's what happened try getting Google Contacts again from the Play Store.

Upvote 0
Update just completed on my device and I do see the custom notification sounds per contact (and conversation) are gone.

However, a quick web search indicates that the hue and cry from users about this being removed was loud, and was heard. See this article at xda-developers: https://www.xda-developers.com/samsung-messages-custom-ringtones-contacts/

Looks like you can install an updated version of the Samsung Messages app and get it back. You could also switch to Textra or similar and get it back.

Upvote 0
Viewing a contact, scrolling to bottom there is 'view more' - The notification setting used to be there.

(Edit - *Editing a contact* - not viewing a contact)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180712-131517_Contacts.jpg
    Screenshot_20180712-131517_Contacts.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_20180712-131539_Contacts.jpg
    Screenshot_20180712-131539_Contacts.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
First, with regard to your question about Google Contacts, yes, those screenshots are for the correct app, but it does not restore the custom text message notification sound.

The only things I've found that do that are updating to the latest version of Samsung messaging, and the custom sound is arranged in the messaging app for a given person who's messaged you (whether in your contacts or not), or changing to an alternate texting app that supports this such as Textra SMS or Chomp SMS or Mood Messenger (or others that support the custom notification tone option, and there are many).

Upvote 0
By the way, make sure to read the permissions required by any app you might consider using to replace the native Messaging.

Looking at the three I listed, Textra appears to be the most conservative regarding what it seeks permission for and all seem necessary (except, possibly, for "retrieve running apps" under Device & App History).

Chomp, too, seems reasonable. The only two permissions I have questions about are "Read sensitive log data" under Device & App History and "Control system backup and restore" under Other.

Mood, by contrast, is downright scary in terms of asking for permissions I'd never give any app. Under Calendar it wants:
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
  • add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owner's knowledge
and under Other it wants:
  • download files without notification
  • receive data from the internet
  • control flashlight
  • use accounts on the device
  • modify system settings (possibly innocuous, but who knows?)
  • read Google service configuration.

People tend to install apps without ever reading the permissions, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't even suggesting an app that asks for the kind of carte blanche, and carte blanche in secret, that Mood Messenger does!

Upvote 0
A few yrs ago, I tried the LG G5; but, returned it because it didn't have this feature. (Went back to Galaxy S5 for this reason) I am deeply irritated that it's been taken from me because of a frig'n Update??? I appreciate all the info & I did set the different notification sounds through the existing conversations. If you find a way to get the feature back, (within the contacts,) be sure to get me that info! & just to be sure, un-doing the update is either not possible or wouldn't bring the feature back... Right?❓

Upvote 0
Believe me, I feel your pain, as this sort of thing has happened to most of us at one time or another.

One of the great strengths of the Android platform, though, is the plethora of alternative apps and, in fact, alternative custom ROMs for these devices if one is willing to root them and install a custom recovery. One need not stick with the default messaging app, that's for sure. I would not be holding my breath for the return of the feature that's been removed from contacts any time in the near future.

When it comes right down to it, though, I count myself very lucky that Samsung/T-Mobile continue to push out major Android version updates for the Galaxy S7. As Android is progressing security is becoming a far more significant concern, and Android 8.0/Oreo is a major step forward in that realm.

Upvote 0
Hi folks. I got a new Note 8 & the software update from T-Mobile keeps popping up. I, now, have the ability to assign individual contacts, a specific notification sound. If I update, will it go away?

(Update info attached, I hope)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180926-183037.jpg
    Screenshot_20180926-183037.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones