• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First impressions coming from iPhone4

Daingerfield

Jun 19, 2011
I was considering this phone and the samsung galaxy 2 and picked up the sensation yesterday and I must say I made the right choice. Don't get me wrong the galaxy s2 has better specs but I absolutely love the sense software and feel that it makes the samsung phones and the iPhone very dull feeling. However, I was reading that the sensation has a 2mp front-facing camera while the iPhone's is a VGA. And I will say after having the iPhone 4 for almost two years both the cameras on the iPhone seemed better to me. How could this be being a VGA camera vs the 2mp on the sensation. Is it the lens. Maybe the software? Same questions for the 8mp rear camera. Just interested in your thoughts. 100% happy sensation owner and will not be going back to apple.

... And I will say after having the iPhone 4 for almost two years both the cameras on the iPhone seemed better to me. How could this be being a VGA camera vs the 2mp on the sensation. Is it the lens. ....

I can't speak directly to the difference between the iPhone and the Sensation, but in general the lens is more important than the sensor for photo quality. For the front facing camera the Sensation's is also VGA, not 2 MP... HTC - Products - HTC Sensation - Specification

For great pictures the order of importance is photographer > glass > sensor. Which is why I'm still baffled by the absurdly high megapixel counts we're getting on camera phones with their tiny little lenses... My old 4.3 megapixel Kodak P&S will have better images than an 8 MP cameraphone simply because it has a much bigger lens. My 6.1 MP Nikon D40 will blow both of them away even with its cheap kit lenses.

Reactions: SDscorch
Upvote 0
I'm still baffled by the absurdly high megapixel counts we're getting on camera phones with their tiny little lenses... My old 4.3 megapixel Kodak P&S will have better images than an 8 MP cameraphone simply because it has a much bigger lens. My 6.1 MP Nikon D40 will blow both of them away even with its cheap kit lenses.

This is why I believe Apple chose 5 mp over the trend of higher. That is one the best cameras on any phone Ive ever used.

Reactions: SDscorch
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones