• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flash to Verizon

superboy4444

Android Expert
Sep 15, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Hey, currently i am on the vm samsung galaxy reverb, but i used to have the optimus elite, my girlfriend just switched got her own line on verizon but still has her crappy lg vortex, so i was wondering if anyone could help me with flashing this phone over to verizon, i know it can be done, and i think i can do it, i just don't want to break anything...please help haha

Hey, currently i am on the vm samsung galaxy reverb, but i used to have the optimus elite, my girlfriend just switched got her own line on verizon but still has her crappy lg vortex, so i was wondering if anyone could help me with flashing this phone over to verizon, i know it can be done, and i think i can do it, i just don't want to break anything...please help haha

"Scratches head" for a min.

Don't think it's even possible to flash the device to another carrier.

Upvote 0
I'd bet that Verizon will not allow phones not sold by them to be activated for service or will charge a substantial fee if they do allow it. You will also likely have to pay to have it flashed (not something easily done even by experienced developers) so it probably isn't worth it. It may cost less to get a refurbished or used Verizon phone that is comparable to the OE or better.

Upvote 0
Flashing isn't hard at all... You just need the software and I don't have it... You just only a new msl ESN and prl and then voila

Not true at all... That might get you to connect to CDMA, but that will only get you voice, no DATA or txt messaging.

Sorry for the necropost, but someone had to say yes it is possible but extremely difficult and a grey area legally.

Upvote 0
Nearly impossible to flash to big red from another carrier. They are much more diligent in their ESN database monitoring so cloning/borrowing ESNs or even trying to add to their data base would be an exercise in futility. Put your elite up for sale or trade on craigslist and get a vzw phone. Save yourself the headache Lol.

Ok, I already did that except I still want to know how

Upvote 0
I've done the reverse, and put a US Cellular Mesmerize (via flashing it to Verizon first) on Virgin using an LG Optimus V as a donor phone. It is possible to go the other way technically, but it depends on whether you can get access to the programming on both your donor phone and the Optimus Elite. It should also be possible to get data working on it. I would, however, start with a Sprint stock rom as Virgin have done something wierd with MMS.

IMHO, although a nice phone, the Elite isn't anywhere near nice enough to jump through all the hoops required, and the quality of phones available on Verizon is way better than on Virgin, so it doesn't make much sense to me.

Upvote 0
I always kind of wanted to do something like this but i don't think it was possible or even legal to discuss lol. VM phone run on 1900Mhz ( That high spectrum makes it so i can handle a lot of activity but is very poor going though walls) and Verizon i believe is on 900mhz so that means you would have to change how the whole radio works by changing the radio prop( the little driver that controls the Radio). Changing that is the only way. also tweaking it right could actually give us faster 3G on VM!

Upvote 0
I tried, and successfully I might add, to flash an HTC Arrive to VM on my plan and got a wonderful letter in the mail about a week later telling me to kindly go blow a goat (or something along those lines). They froze my service until I bought a new phone and now I own an Optimus Elite.

For the sake of not messing with the (ridiculous) cellular laws, save yourself the hassle and just don't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones