• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing New ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

I'm not so new but STILL new to rooting. When I did so a month or so ago, the ClockwordMod Recovery that was installed on my phone was 2.6.0.1.

I now received notification that 3.0.0.5 is available.

I just wanted to know if there was any concerns with this latest release I have been prompted with?? I can see that I can downgrade if necessary but just wondering as this is my first prompt to upgrade to the newest version.

Do I need to do anything special other than hit the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in the app?? Obviously, do a nandroid backup beforehand with this as well, yes??

THANKS!!

Its best to ALWAYS do a nandroid before doing anything with a rooted phone. It only takes a few minutes, and will save you a lot of hassle if anything happens.

As for flashing the new version, there was problems with the 3.0 version before. I'm not sure if they fixed those or not. But if you arent having any problems with the version you have now, I see no reason to update.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
I would stick with 2.6 or switch to Amon RA 2.3. 3.0 versions of clockwork mod are for the new scripting that is coming out in upcoming releases I believe.

OK thanks. The only real change that I saw referenced something about "Edify" scripting for future OS releases and that information seemed a weeee bit above my pay-grade :D

I did find some more information about the reason for the changes regarding Edify and other good info here if anyone is interested:

[NOTICE] ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0+ and update-script - xda-developers

Clockworkmod 3.0.0.5 Flash issue

THANKS!

Upvote 0
Its best to ALWAYS do a nandroid before doing anything with a rooted phone. It only takes a few minutes, and will save you a lot of hassle if anything happens.

As for flashing the new version, there was problems with the 3.0 version before. I'm not sure if they fixed those or not. But if you arent having any problems with the version you have now, I see no reason to update.

And THAT was gonna be my second question....so unless and until I'm having problems with my 2.6 then I'll just chill here with what I have. Thanks...

Upvote 0
I've been using 3.0 and haven't had any issues. I've been flashing ROMs and made a couple nandroid backups and everything has flashed/restored just fine. I have thought about switching, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thanks...question...

You said you are using 3.0 but "have thought about switching." Do you mean switching BACK to 2.6 or something??? Or what were you considering a switch to??

Upvote 0
Clockwork has been known to be a big buggy at times. Amon RA has less issues.

Some prefer clockwork as Rom Manager is written by the same dev and is easier to use. I prefer to use Amon RA as it is less likely to have or create problems. I do all of my flashing manually anyway so no need for Rom manager.

Upvote 0
Right, so the Google changed the update script quite some time ago, but legacy support was kept in most custom recoveries for a while. Gingerbread must use the new format, but CW 2.6.0.1 supports both the old one (amend) and the new one (edify). All that means is, if you're going to flash anything GB related, it better darn well be written in edify. It doesn't really matter than it supports amend too. So, if you update to CW 3.0.0.5, you'll be able to flash *most* things, as most developers have started using edify, but if you come across any update script written in amend, it won't work.

It's very easy to tell if an update zip is amend or edify. Just open it, and browse down to META-INFO\com\google\android. If you see an update-binary and updater-script, it's edify. If you just see an update-script (note the lack of an "r" at the end of "update") it's amend. Like others have said here, just stick with 2.6.0.1. Once we all update to GB (probably when HTC releases it), you'll want to use CW 3.5.0.1 or RA (I'm sure Amon RA will release a version that supports only edify). Until then, you're fine, just be a little careful if using a GB ROM.

Also, it is not necessary to make a nandroid backup before switching recovery versions, BUT it's a good idea for, really, only one reason. Once you switch from CW to RA or RA to CW, you won't be able to use nandroid backups made in the other recovery. CW nandroid backups can only be restored in CW, and vice versa. That being said, it's a good idea to make a nandroid backup of your last configuration you had on your previous recovery just in case you end up in a situation where you have a certain recovery, no good nandroid backups made in that recovery, but an inability to boot. You could just flash the previous recovery, then restore the nandroid backup you know is good. That's kind of a rare situation, though. That being said, making a nandroid backup before changing anything with root is good advice. It's just that you need recovery to restore a backup, in general, and you need the same recovery, at that. If something happens to your phone where you can't boot or get to recovery, you'll have to flash recovery, first, anyway. Having made a nandroid backup before flashing a new recovery won't have made a difference. In the case of CW 2.6.0.1 -> 3.0.0.5, backups are backwards compatible, anyway.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
Also, it is not necessary to make a nandroid backup before switching recovery versions, BUT it's a good idea for, really, only one reason. Once you switch from CW to RA or RA to CW, you won't be able to use nandroid backups made in the other recovery. CW nandroid backups can only be restored in CW, and vice versa.

I understood that nandroid backups made in either recovery can ONLY be flashed within the recovery that made the backup, can one have BOTH RA and CW on their phone?? Or can only ONE recovery reside and run on a phone at one time??

Upvote 0
You can only have one recovery flashed at once. When you flash a new one, it overwrites whatever was there. That being said, it's easy to flash back to whatever you had before, if you want to. So, if you have a bunch of backups made in CW, but want to switch to RA, just keep a PC36IMG.zip of CW on hand in case you want to restore any of those older backups. That is much easier than restoring each one, switching to RA, backing up, and repeating. That would take forever.

The thing is, the method used to create these backups is *probably* the same (there's only a few ways to do something like this). It used to be that the two recoveries didn't make the same img files. Now that they can both backup the same things, you *probably* could get away with restoring from one to the other, but I'm not going to try it, nor would I recommend any one else try it.

Upvote 0
only one recovery can run at one time...you can keep an image of each on the sd card, and flash them through bootloader....thus switching back and forth.

in my overkill nature...I actually do this every time I find a set up I really enjoy. I make a nandroid of it in each, and then move the files to my computer and rename them so I know what that set up was.

it also ensures I have multiple copies of my wimax keys :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones