• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FM Radio No Longer Working on Galaxy S10

Kierylayne

Lurker
Mar 5, 2021
Hi y'all, I'm new here to the forums so excuse me if this isn't the right format.

I'm just experiencing a problem with my FM radio feature. I recently discovered that my phone has an FM radio capability, so installed the NextRadio app from Google Play. It worked excellently and flawlessly until the most recent update for the device. What's going on here?

Galaxy S10. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and have restarted the device twice. Any help would be great, I miss listening to the radio so much on my walks.

Update: Unfortunately, upon reinstalling the app, I just now noticed that I get a message saying the app doesn't have access to the FM chip. Someone in their app reviews on Google Play seems to say this is due to the one UI 3.0 update. I hope there will be a fix possible at some point. Anyone please let me know if you have ideas. - Thank you! ♡

Last edited:
Hi y'all, I'm new here to the forums so excuse me if this isn't the right format.

I'm just experiencing a problem with my FM radio feature. I recently discovered that my phone has an FM radio capability, so installed the NextRadio app from Google Play. It worked excellently and flawlessly until the most recent update for the device. What's going on here?

Galaxy S10. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and have restarted the device twice. Any help would be great, I miss listening to the radio so much on my walks.
hmm i have not a clue but this would also be why i have a cheap phone that also has this feature

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

dontpanicbobt has a point you do need to have earbuds connected to your phone because they act as a antena without them it will just be static

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter what it cost. It matters how it works. Bluetooth earbuds will not pickup FM. You need an antenna for that.
I feel like I'm repeating myself.

I do have wired headphones, the same ones as before. They do still work. Unfortunately, upon reinstalling the app, I also just now noticed that I get a message saying the app doesn't have access to the FM chip. Someone in their app reviews on Google Play seems to say this is due to the one UI 3.0 update. I hope there will be a fix possible at some point.

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I wonder if the FM app on my device would work on other devices?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-06_21-01-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-03-06_21-01-01.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Upvote 0
RE: Kierylayne

I'm guessing that your phone is now running Android 10.(?) That version isn't compatible w/ NextRadio. I've been at this for awhile (searching for an app that will work) and have not found any app that works like NextRadio did. All the apps I've tried are internet (data) and most of those do not have "local"(non-internet) FM programming. We'll have to wait for someone to develop an app that can access the FM chipset or, as in my case, think about flashing back to Android 9. Hope U find something that works.

Rick

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

Update: Unfortunately, upon reinstalling the app, I just now noticed that I get a message saying the app doesn't have access to the FM chip. Someone in their app reviews on Google Play seems to say this is due to the one UI 3.0 update. I hope there will be a fix possible at some point. Anyone please let me know if you have ideas. - Thank you! ♡
Same problem radio worked on my s10 but stopped working after updating to the newest software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones