• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those already on android, what apps to put on the evo first?

LOL...I had to chime in on this thread because it shows how much of an Android NEWB I am.

I've installed a total of 5 Apps downloaded from the app market thus far (2 NBA apps, 1 ringtone maker, 1 battery indicator, Google Maps)!...ROFLMAO. That proves my WinMO mentality that I have to break because all the customizing I did on WinMO got me in this mindset that the more apps I download, the more bogged down my phone will get. That's clearly not the case, based on all the lists people have posted up.

I seriously need some help here from my Androidforums peeps. If there are certain APPS that are definitely "Must Have," would you mind listing what you all think those would be (or PM me, so it doesn't mess with the integrity of this thread).

Seriously...my head is kinda spinning at how open this phone and OS is and how customizable it is without having to spend hours on end trying to figure out the right configuration!

Slowly, but surely, I'm really starting to love the EVO and Android!

Thanks in Advance.

Upvote 0
LOL...I had to chime in on this thread because it shows how much of an Android NEWB I am.

I've installed a total of 5 Apps downloaded from the app market thus far (2 NBA apps, 1 ringtone maker, 1 battery indicator, Google Maps)!...ROFLMAO. That proves my WinMO mentality that I have to break because all the customizing I did on WinMO got me in this mindset that the more apps I download, the more bogged down my phone will get. That's clearly not the case, based on all the lists people have posted up.

I seriously need some help here from my Androidforums peeps. If there are certain APPS that are definitely "Must Have," would you mind listing what you all think those would be (or PM me, so it doesn't mess with the integrity of this thread).

Seriously...my head is kinda spinning at how open this phone and OS is and how customizable it is without having to spend hours on end trying to figure out the right configuration!

Thanks in Advance.
lol, man that is exactly what this entire thread is about. Just read through this thread and look at everyone's lists. If you see something you like, add it to your appbrain.

Upvote 0
I am a long time Windows computer user new to Android with Evo 4G, my first smartphone. So seriously, with Android, one can install dozens of apps like I see on these lists with no performance hit to the OS?

Yep. They don't all run at the same time. And they share much of the same processes and resources. It's a pretty sweet setup.

Upvote 0
Me too I am coming from TP2 windows Mobile and this is so much better. I love it. I made a list at App Brain like 50 apps and I was afraid to put too much also cause my TP2 would lag and I had to hard reset it a few times. But this is too cool. I've gone to the marketplace and gotten about 6 apps. And a couple were ones that were in my App Brain list. I have to go through the list again and see which ones aren't duplicates. I only need one app too do one thing not 2 different apps that do the same thing. I want the better of the two. I need a grocery list app and need to see which one is the best. There's so much I want. And I just saw all the different scenes and how you can customize them. So Cool! I love this phone.

Thanks in Advance.

Upvote 0
Me too I am coming from TP2 windows Mobile and this is so much better. I love it. I made a list at App Brain like 50 apps and I was afraid to put too much also cause my TP2 would lag and I had to hard reset it a few times. But this is too cool. I've gone to the marketplace and gotten about 6 apps. And a couple were ones that were in my App Brain list. I have to go through the list again and see which ones aren't duplicates. I only need one app too do one thing not 2 different apps that do the same thing. I want the better of the two. I need a grocery list app and need to see which one is the best. There's so much I want. And I just saw all the different scenes and how you can customize them. So Cool! I love this phone.
LOL, we're pretty much in the exat same boat. I am coming from a Touch Pro 2 as well, trying to sort through the apps and find the best one for the job, and looking for a grocery list app (one that will sync with my wife's Evo so we can share a common grocery list).

Upvote 0
I know I got a bar code scanner one last night and I know there was a few and my friend said well I got this one and liked it. There's flashlights and I saw a few of those. I just want one good one. But there is so many cool apps and this phone is way better than the TP2. So glad I sold mine. I have so much to learn about this phone.

But the only thing I don't like is I like using the HTC Sense FB app and it uses friends Stream. But it has an option sync contacts and I unchecked that. I only want to sync my people in my address book to FB not everyone and you can't do that. So if I am going to send a text or an email I see all my FB friends and it shows there emails and phone numbers and some people I see in this list 2 or 3 times cause they have multiple emails. It's confusing. You can block from seeing everyone on your main people list and just see your own but when you go to mail or text there's a whole other peoples list and it shows every FB contact. So right now my main contacts don't have a FB pic associated with it. It's confusing but I like having friends Stream and I also treid the FB app not the HTC one which was better than on my TP2. But just going to the web for FB is also tons better than the TP2. I just am in love with this phone. I have so much more to learn. The scenes are all cool too and I am goling to cutomize those on my next day off. But Ok I have to get some sleep.

LOL, we're pretty much in the exat same boat. I am coming from a Touch Pro 2 as well, trying to sort through the apps and find the best one for the job, and looking for a grocery list app (one that will sync with my wife's Evo so we can share a common grocery list).

Upvote 0
Pardon my newbness, but is there any reason one would use appbrain on the computer vs going to The Market app already installed on the EVO?
Is you know how appbrain is then you know the use. If not, then the reason is to be able to search a little easier and set up apps if you are on these threads and see something you like. Kinda like itunes

Upvote 0
@Rose4KY - AppBrain scrapes the Google Android Market, so everything you find in one should be in the other. They exist so that you can find the apps on the web and make it easier to manage your lists off of your phone.

@makisupa79 - I do not know of any calendar widgets that overlay on top of the lockscreen yet. This could be a little difficult to do, and although I am not saying it won't be done, it might take a little longer than expected. I know of a way to make the lockscreen clear and then you could have the calendar underneath, but it requires rooting and ROMing your phone which is something you might not want to get into.

Streaming radio - Sirius/XM are coming out with an app VERY shortly. So you should be all set with that very soon. In the meantime, Pandora and Grooveshark are both FANTASTIC streaming radio apps that interface well with their counterpart websites. Once Grooveshark gets a few of their stability issues worked out, it is going to be absolutely unbeatable.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Sirius XM is already out and it's awesome! I had it free on my TP2 from there markeplace but for some reason it doesn't work on EVO. They said I am not a premium customer but I am now. I love it! No need for Pandora or any other for me but I may try Pandora just for the heck of it. I used it once a long time ago on my PC before I had Sirius.

So basically if it's in my app brain list I can go to marketplace and just get it there. I have so many apps in my list that I only wanted to try some of them at 1st and some I just stuck in there cause I thought I might want them or cause there similar to another app and I'm waiting to see which one people like better. Thanks,

[Quote}
Streaming radio - Sirius/XM are coming out with an app VERY shortly. So you should be all set with that very soon. In the meantime, Pandora and Grooveshark are both FANTASTIC streaming radio apps that interface well with their counterpart websites. Once Grooveshark gets a few of their stability issues worked out, it is going to be absolutely unbeatable.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
I'm looking for 2 specific things.

1. A way to put my calendar widget on the lock screen and
2. Any streaming radio that allows me to hear Stern on Sirius (i have a subscription)

And thanks for the lists everyone!

You may want to check out Smart Lock. Seems to be able to allow you access to one application and nothing else. Sort of like what you want.

Official website here.

Hope its helpful.

TS

Upvote 0
Hi all- new here, just looking for a little secrity help. I have figured out how to enable the security lock, but I am finding it annoying to have to go into security settings to enable or disable the password. is there an on/off widget that i am missing? looking for something like the slider buttons for example that slide wifi on or off.

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Rock Player sounds cool!! I may have to try it. I got a music player app last week called cube and it has this extra concert app and it scans your memory card and checks to see what artist are going to be in concert within a certain radius. I like it!

Has anyone mentioned Rockplayer? (Didn't read through the entire thread)

THE Essential Android media player (IMO). Will play AVI/DiVX, FLV and many more without having to convert to MP4

RockPlayer (ARMv7) - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones