• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Formats, formats, formats

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
I think one of the reasons I may be having trouble with some of these ebook files is/are the format(s). The Moto G (and Nook) can handle pdf and epub just fine, but djvu and cbz/r are another matter. I don't know how to convert them, or whether I should. Some of the files don't work at all, and some disappear as I try to read them.

I don't know about all of them but ZLibrary certainly does. They have a huge selection. I tried to download that viewer suggested by puppykickr but the Moto G won't install it. I gave it permission. Anyway, cbz turns out to be a comic book format, and cbr uses rar.

Do you have the F-Droid app?
If you do, then it will direct you to the version for your device, or tell you if the app is incompatible.

The link I posted is just the general F-Droid link to the app.
Try scrolling down and download a different version.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll try that, thanks. Meanwhile, I downloaded Moon+, but I still can't open that graphic novel. Is there a way to convert cbz or cbr (rar) to pdf or epub? Why are there all these different formats that most readers can't handle?

Well I don't think there's really that many document and e-book formats, just about all e-books I've got are either PDF or EPUB, with one or two in DJVU. And the stock Huawei reader on my phone, handles them no problem. As I've already stated, I'd never heard of CBZ. Where did you obtain CBZ files from?

RAR is a general compression format that can be used for many different file types, including executable programs, just like ZIP.

Upvote 0
I got it from ZLibrary. It's a graphic novel. I also got a djvu from there, and either one of them is black screen when I "open" it.

This site? https://z-lib.net/
When I click on any books, it just keeps on taking me back the front page. Could it's currently having problems, or that I'm not logged in?

What exactly do you mean "graphic novel"? Is that erotic or pr0n or something?

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi and Rgarner
Upvote 0
This site? https://z-lib.net/
When I click on any books, it just keeps on taking me back the front page. Could it's currently having problems, or that I'm not logged in?

Here's another: azw3. What the heck is that? What could possibly open it? Why does it even exist?

Apparently it's Amazon Kindle.
https://fileinfo.com/extension/azw3
And the Amazon Kindle app is supposed to open them in Android. So I guess no surprises there.

You been buying e-books from Amazon? I've never heard of this format myself, but then I don't use Amazon.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
What's a good free reader that can handle all the weird formats (if possible)? Ideally it would have a small footprint and probably not have to deal with the "regular" stuff. I still don't get why there are all these different formats, but most likely it has something to do with money.

Upvote 0
I have a question about Moon+Reader. Some of the files move horizontally, which I prefer, and some vertically. Is there a way to change its orientation, pray it away, perhaps? Also, I noticed a couple of titles are missing maybe half or more of their pages. This may or may not have something to do with the reader itself.

Upvote 0
I now have 4 readers: Nook (my "favorite" at this point), Moon+Reader, PocketBook, and Readler. I hope I can post these 2 screenshots of how many different formats. Is that enough for ya? STILL there are some it cannot handle. It gets tiresome. Besides whining, I wanted to ask how/if I can convert some of the weirder formats to the normal stuff, i. e. pdf or epub, how to import covers (if, again), and how to make them all open east west, that is, horizontally. Vertically is probably better than nothing, but I definitely prefer the other.
Screenshot_20210306-064414.png
Screenshot_20210306-064414.png
Screenshot_20210306-064409.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones