• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Found: Fix for Nexus 7 / WinXP connection problem

Hi, I'm new to the Android Forum but had finally found a solid fix for the Nexus 7 / WinXP connection problem and though I'd post it here.

I'm copying and pasting the person's post from another thread to give him full credit. I'd never have come up with this one but it works perfectly.
(NOTE: do not include asterisks (*) if you copy and paste. they are just to distinguish BTF's post.

BTFMoore replied on November 2, 2012See post history
Close
Reply In reply to Iwan Zarembo post on October 1, 2012
Thanks Iwan - I've tried every other solution on google and this is the only one that worked for my nexus 7 on XP.

So I ran "notepad C:\Windows\inf\wpdmtp.inf" (in hardware manager when my nexus 7 was connected I had a yellow MTP icon) - I've copied/pasted below the whole section that I ended up with - save the file.

Connect your Nexus 7 and in device manager, right click the yellow mtp icon, select update driver, then in the wizard select authomatic (the top default option), let the driver install, all done!

FINAL wpdmtp.inf that work for me:
;
;Device is identified by Microsoft OS descriptor
;If your device does not support it, use specific VID & PID for identification
;
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP
; Nexus 7
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_00

[Generic.NTamd64]
; Nexus 7
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_00

This fix was for my 2012 model.

Unfortunately, it looks like it may not be a "universal" fix as Dimbulb hasn't had any success with it.

Hopefully it will help others.

As I mentioned to him, the connection doesn't seem to be completely stable as when I try to move large or numerous files from the laptop to the Nexus it seems to die midway during the transfer.

If I take my time and move fewer files at a time it does perfectly well.

Still looking for the definitive answer but perhaps this will be a good stop gap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones