• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Foursquare

I've asked Foursquare this question by e-mail and Twitter. Others have asked it in the Foursquare support section. I can't find the answer anywhere.

Anyway, what I want to know is why does the Foursquare App need to be allow to access my contact information and dial phone numbers?

Does anybody know what it does with my contact information and what phone numbers it dials?

I think that it just dials numbers of local businesses if you ask it to, so that's not a problem. I have no idea what it does with my contact information.

I've asked Foursquare this question by e-mail and Twitter. Others have asked it in the Foursquare support section. I can't find the answer anywhere.

Anyway, what I want to know is why does the Foursquare App need to be allow to access my contact information and dial phone numbers?

Does anybody know what it does with my contact information and what phone numbers it dials?

I think that it just dials numbers of local businesses if you ask it to, so that's not a problem. I have no idea what it does with my contact information.
Foursquare has a feature/option to scan your contacts to see if any of them have a Foursquare account, and then recommend or request to send them a Friend Invite.

Just like Twitter or Facebook can optionally search your google contacts to find friends to link to in their social services.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Is it an option (that I can opt out of), or is it a feature (that I can't opt out of)? Does it only e-mail people who ALREADY have a Foursquare account (as you have said), or might it e-mail everybody in my contacts?

I hate getting continuous e-mails from websites like Facebook, just because one of my friends has given Facebook his/her Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo! login details. I don't want to be one of these people who expect everybody to join what I've joined.

I'm sorry for asking questions that I could easily find out myself by installing the application, but I want to know the answers before I install it.

Thanks again.

Rob

Upvote 0
I'm having trouble getting Foursquare to publish my checkins to my Facebook page. It will post to my Twitter account, but not Facebook.

When I go into my application settings on Facebook, I edit Foursquare to allow publishing, but the check mark won't stay in that box to allow it.

Anyone else having this issue? I see some of my friends posting in my news feed, but I cannot. Frustrating. It used to work fine.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I unlinked my FB account with Foursquare, then reconnected them. Apparently, with FB's new privacy settings, there was a disconnect. All is good again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones