• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Free wifi tether? Oh yes.. here's how

My apologizes, did not see that post Bek, thank you for the well-done write up!

Funny, the word tether traditionally means "wired connection", now we have to make the distinction between wireless tether and USB tether.

So, for the record, I'll be able to connect my EVO via USB to a PC and use it, a'la phone-as-modem.

Yes - HTC has baked it in with Android 2.1. CURRENT Sprint devices with 2.1 should have the capability to do it natively as well.

Upvote 0
I remember reading a response from Sprint on this, though I wish I could remember where so I could share a link. But basically, the spokesperson said the difference was that sharing a data connection with one device (via USB/bluetooth) was free while sharing the connection with more than one and up to eight (via wifi) would be $30.

The difference being, of course, that one extra device wouldn't use nearly as much data as eight extra devices.

Upvote 0
I remember reading a response from Sprint on this, though I wish I could remember where so I could share a link. But basically, the spokesperson said the difference was that sharing a data connection with one device (via USB/bluetooth) was free while sharing the connection with more than one and up to eight (via wifi) would be $30.

The difference being, of course, that one extra device wouldn't use nearly as much data as eight extra devices.

Cool. So its safe to say that the data plan IS truly unlimited since wired tethering is free. Or does 3G have a cap?

Upvote 0
I think that the extra charge for tethering (wired and/or wireless) boils down to customer support. Its probably more expensive to support/troubleshoot a user trying to tether than the bandwidth that it consumes.

my two cents

This makes the most sense. You're not paying for the data with the $30. You're paying for the inevitable support calls from Joe Incompetent when he gets frustrated cause device xxx won't connect.

I can think of half a dozen ways to share Sprint's USB tethered connection. It's just a network adapter and Windows supports NAT out of the box so you could literally make your laptop appear as a wireless hotspot (or use ad-hoc mode most likely) and share it, however Sprint will just laugh if you call for tech support.

Upvote 0
I can think of half a dozen ways to share Sprint's USB tethered connection. It's just a network adapter and Windows supports NAT out of the box so you could literally make your laptop appear as a wireless hotspot (or use ad-hoc mode most likely) and share it, however Sprint will just laugh if you call for tech support.

If you have the technical knowledge to know how to set up your laptop to become a wireless router, and YOU have to call technical support, I'm going to laugh at you!

:p

Reactions: ekt8750
Upvote 0
Not to beat a dead horse but Sprint really seems focused on _never_ mentioning this capability:

Sprint Playbook: EVO 4G is a high-end, awesome device

If you look at the PAM FAQ at the bottom, they are making sure their sales associates don't even consider the capability of using the HTC Sync software to tether.

Of course. They want to sell you a $30/mo package whether you need it or not. Most people who tether are a single user who could tether by USB for free, but sprint wants you to know that you can WiFi tether! Only $30/mo! Why would they push people to USB tether when it does not make them any money?

PS- the built in USB tether from HTC works great! And it charges your phone wile you use it. (Although if your laptop is running on battery at the time, that might be a drawback)

Upvote 0
Hey Guys. I've got the source code for "Wireless Tether for Root Users" so if it doesn't work on the 4G I'll add in the code to do so and post it up as a fix or just submit the changes to the original author. I haven't looked at the code in detail yet, but it should work on the 4G unless the program specifically asks for 3G.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys. I've got the source code for "Wireless Tether for Root Users" so if it doesn't work on the 4G I'll add in the code to do so and post it up as a fix or just submit the changes to the original author. I haven't looked at the code in detail yet, but it should work on the 4G unless the program specifically asks for 3G.

It's looking like a few of the early rooters were having issues with other tether apps. I know I'll be right with you with this code to get it working, open source ftw!

Upvote 0
Just an FYI...

Wifi tether uses more battery than bluetooth tether, and a LOT more than wired tether on other phones. I don't see why the EVO will be different. With a sprint Hero using wifi tether, sometimes the phone still loses charge as you wifi tether even when plugged into a computer USB port. Has to be wall charging to stay afloat!

Upvote 0
So what I'm hearing is that tethering by USB or bluetooth (1 connection) is free and built into HTC's Android 2.1 ROM.

Any confirmed wifi tethers on 4G yet? The big issue is getting my laptop online while working on the road. Being able to share is just a perk I'd like to have as well... sans the $30/mo tax on top.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI...

Wifi tether uses more battery than bluetooth tether, and a LOT more than wired tether on other phones. I don't see why the EVO will be different. With a sprint Hero using wifi tether, sometimes the phone still loses charge as you wifi tether even when plugged into a computer USB port. Has to be wall charging to stay afloat!

true.. on my G1 if I wifi tether for a while, WITH the charger plugged in, it sucks so much juice the battery will die and the phone will shut off because it can't keep up! (was over 1 hr tho)

Upvote 0
So what I'm hearing is that tethering by USB or bluetooth (1 connection) is free and built into HTC's Android 2.1 ROM.

Any confirmed wifi tethers on 4G yet? The big issue is getting my laptop online while working on the road. Being able to share is just a perk I'd like to have as well... sans the $30/mo tax on top.

I'm getting a PCS Vision username/password is incorrect error when enabling HTC Sync connection sharing. Bummer, looks like no wired tether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones