• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Freezes in photo gallery since JI6 update

Odin, last week. Used the official OTA found on xda. Only flashed the .tar.

I also noticed that the gallery is arranged differently, in a different order than before. I presumed this is something that was changed...can you confirm?

I just tried this version including the .PIT file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12594883/T959UVJI6.zip
Might be worth a try. ;)

Works great, no issues with Market etc.

Yes JI6 changed the layout of the gallery in mine as well. But no freezing or lagging.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Ever since the JI6 update which I applied manually since the OTA caused problems was installed, half the time I go into photo gallery the device freezes before showing any of the category thumbnails.

Anybody else having this issue?

Do you use GPS geotagging with the camera? Just curious if that's a factor.

I don't use it and see no problems with the gallery. But I have seen hangs, etc. when using GPS functions.

Upvote 0
Odin, last week. Used the official OTA found on xda. Only flashed the .tar.

I also noticed that the gallery is arranged differently, in a different order than before. I presumed this is something that was changed...can you confirm?

I do remember hearing something about the Gallery being changed somewhat in JI6.

If you're interested in something I think is a bit more efficient, check out JustPictures!

JustPictures! - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
I used the "Official" JI6 posted at XDA and had an issue with the Marketplace not showing certain apps. Then I tried the one I linked you to above with the PIT file and no more problems.

Here is a link to the thread where I found the file: [Tips & Tricks] Last Update: 10/14/10 ** JI6 Guide / 2.2. Market / H.ware Locked ** - xda-developers#

I also see the fandango movies, so not sure if there's a prob with the update or not. The reason I didn't want to do the .pit file also is because I don't want to have to reload everything. I hear the .pit file wipes your apps and whatnot.

At times I miss the simplicity of the Blackberry backup system, which you could easily and quickly backup all your apps, settings, everything, and reload it all after installing a hybrid OS. Whole process took about 30 min. Not sure if this can be done with Android.

Upvote 0
I also see the fandango movies, so not sure if there's a prob with the update or not. The reason I didn't want to do the .pit file also is because I don't want to have to reload everything. I hear the .pit file wipes your apps and whatnot.

At times I miss the simplicity of the Blackberry backup system, which you could easily and quickly backup all your apps, settings, everything, and reload it all after installing a hybrid OS. Whole process took about 30 min. Not sure if this can be done with Android.

Not to worry. Using the .PIT file will NOT clear your settings or apps. I just did this update with the .PIT file over the top of a prior Odin update (which did not include the .PIT file) and the only noticeable change was that it cleared up the Market glitch. Using the .PIT file did not wipe my apps nor settings. When using Odin putting a checkmark in the repartition box is what wipes your phone.

My understading is that if you are rooted you can use Titanium to easily and quickly back up your entire device.

Upvote 0
Not to worry. Using the .PIT file will NOT clear your settings or apps. I just did this update with the .PIT file over the top of a prior Odin update (which did not include the .PIT file) and the only noticeable change was that it cleared up the Market glitch. Using the .PIT file did not wipe my apps nor settings. When using Odin putting a checkmark in the repartition box is what wipes your phone.

My understading is that if you are rooted you can use Titanium to easily and quickly back up your entire device.

Titanium Backup can back up your apps + the apps' data as well as system data, which I never restore after flashing a ROM as it tends to cause problems.

If you want something that can make a system-state backup, akin to an image you might make of your PC's hard drive, you would need ROM Manager.

Both are apps no one whose phone is rooted should be without. But that's just my ever-so-humble bovine opinion of course.

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup can back up your apps + the apps' data as well as system data, which I never restore after flashing a ROM as it tends to cause problems.

If you want something that can make a system-state backup, akin to an image you might make of your PC's hard drive, you would need ROM Manager.

Both are apps no one whose phone is rooted should be without. But that's just my ever-so-humble bovine opinion of course.

Good job! I knew we could count on you Ken.

Upvote 0
My Vibrant is freezing in the Gallery too. Regular OTA update, rooted with OCLF installed. Also have experienced some freezes in maps and mostly in the navigation app. Very frustrating that this is apparently not a stable OS. My G1 probably froze once or maybe twice in two years. The Vibrant freezes several times a week - sheesh!

Upvote 0
Mine just did it again, I've been testing it every since my last post making note of when it freezes up. One time was right after I had used Samsung's task manager to end all active applications. Then I kept on going into the photo gallery frequently trying to get it to freeze and making note of the conditions.

It just freezed when I used the pull down menu to clear off notifications. The only notifications were from facebook and gmail. Then when I went into photo gallery, it froze.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones