• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Frequency Versions on Mobilicity

TheThoth

Lurker
May 20, 2011
Hey guys,
I am going to sign up with mobilicity in a while and I will be buying a Nexus S from a outside source since it is cheaper. I assumed that all Nexus S phones were the same but I have been since informed by the Mobilicity sales rep that there are several versions with different ranges of frequencies and not every Nexus S will work on their network. The phone I have been looking at has the following specs:

2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network: HSDPA 900 / 2100

From what I've read, Mobilicity seems to operate on 2100MHz, so this phone should be fine right? Also, if I decided to leave Mobilicity and go to another provider, what other options would I have if I used the same phone?

Thanks! :D

Darn. So the i9020t only works on mobilicity and wind... That sucks. The guy at Mobilicity lead me to believe that if I bought a phone from him I could move it to Rogers/Telus/Bell. I thought I was being clever going without a contract in case mobilicity wasn't very good and I wanted to switch to one of the big 3 companies. Oh well. Do all phones have this problem e.g. MyTouch 4g (or Panache as mobilicity is calling it)?

Edit: Is it possible to get 2G on this model (i9020T) on Bell/Telus/Rogers?

Upvote 0
The i9020T will be able to get 2G on Rogers and all of those.

This problem is common with most phones. There are a handful of phones with "Pentaband" 3G radios which allow them to get 3G data on more providers, such as Mobilocity and Rogers. These phones are pretty uncommon though, and no pentaband version of the Nexus S exists.

Reactions: TheThoth
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones