• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From GNex to Fruit Phone

<rant>

Totally NOT trying to start a flame war here. Ultimately as consumers we want the every company to make the best phones possible...

Despite ordering a Galaxy Nexus, if someone else asked me for a phone rec, unless they're a tech geek (at which point they wouldn't be asking me) or really can use 4G, I would recommend an iphone. Sure you lack control, but things just work... and smoothly! And the premium they charge for that is not overly huge I think (or at least- the market agrees with that sentiment). I got sick of the lack of control though, so here I am.

<rant>

Upvote 0
I won't deny the iPhone is a lot easier for people who aren't already familiar with smartphone operating systems. And, if you already have Apple products, the familiarity and syncing options are great. But you give up some other options (features/customization, etc) for that option. I am not a huge fan myself, I don't like iTunes, etc. But, I won't knock it, since it's still a great product that does what it's designed to do, and does it well, as long as you know what you're trading off.

Upvote 0
I prefer to control my life (scrollable widgets, replacing my battery, and overall customizing the look, feel, and actions) than have a company tell me what I can and cannot do. Overall I am super happy with the improvements in ICS (although I do miss a few things in CM7). I, too, have recommended i products to those that like things simple and do not mind the limitations that it poses.

Next year, I am thinking about taping a little green robot to a phone and giving it to my sister's family.

Upvote 0
You guys make it sound like apple tells you what to eat for dinner and which college to attend :rolleyes:

I personally don't give a damn if I can change the color of my notification bar, or switch fonts, or load custom roms. The only time I've rooted and rom'ed in the past was to make my android phone work as flawlessly as an iphone, like it SHOULD. (I'm looking at you gnex)

My gripes with iOS are just differences in operating system features
-for awhile it was the notification bar, but thats been fixed
-lack of 4g support (although I can understand apple calling it an unfinished product)
-tiny screen, -- a 4" screen on an iphone would be perfect.
-Lack of an app drawer
-Lack of widgets
-hipster attraction (ok, ok, not an iOS problem, but still)
-etc etc, there's probably more but I haven't played with one long enough to find them

most importantly -- Durability. I despise phone cases, but the iphone needs one desperately.

(^Also a great video for those who bitch and whine about samsungs "cheap" build quality.)

Otherwise, apple makes a damn good product here, you really can't contest that.

Upvote 0
If anyone over the age of 50 asks me to recommend a phone, I usually say "i rather android, but you may find the iPhone more easy for you to use". BTW, my 10 year old daughter inherited my Samsung Fascinate and finds it very easy to use.
Ah! More age discrimination stereotyping. I am well over 50 and I say:
iPhone-the SmartPhone for Dummies.
Take the time to assess their ability level not based on age. Then guide them thru what their goals and preferences for the phone are. BTW. Like your 10 yr old daughter, I had no trouble rooting and rom-ing my Fascinate (after a bit of study of course. ) Loved it. Just wanted to get this "Legendary" awesome GNex. ;)

Reactions: DSCR
Upvote 0
Ah! More age discrimination stereotyping. I am well over 50 and I say:
iPhone-the SmartPhone for Dummies.
Take the time to assess their ability level not based on age. Then guide them thru what their goals and preferences for the phone are. BTW. Like your 10 yr old daughter, I had no trouble rooting and rom-ing my Fascinate (after a bit of study of course. ) Loved it. Just wanted to get this "Legendary" awesome GNex. ;)

I'm with you there. I too have passed the half century mark and my nieces and nephews rely on me for tech support. They all have iPhones and barely use them beyond the basic functionality.

Upvote 0
Um... well... here is the dealio. I have owned every iPhone since they have come out. I know they are easier to use than Adndroid... but even though I am tech savy, I still prefer iPhone.

I have also owned at 1 time or another... the following Android phones:
T-Mobile G1
Moto Droid
Nexus One
Vibrant
Galaxy S II International

I always go back to iPhone.

The OS is always slick... no lag. (Granted, there are no widgets, etc.)

The browser has no lag... pinch and zoom is STILL the slickest after all these years.

Storage comes in MASSIVE capacities. GNex is 16GB (import) and 32GB (VZW). My 4S is 64GB.

iTunes. While many complain about iTunes. I love it. It keeps my music clean and organized with proper artwork.

OSX integration. When I had Galaxy S II, I missed how I could pull photos and video in iPhoto, import into iMovie and edit the fantastic 1080P video I shot.

Accessories. Apple has whored out it's "Made for iPod/iPhone" logo enough that I can find a 30 pin dock on just about any stereo, alarm clock, car docks, etc. Car stereos with built in "iPod Control."

The reason why I have tried all of these Android phones is because sometimes I am tempted by the latest new toy. Galaxy Nexus is no exception. I am trying to resist.... because I know there will be some kind of issue that will lure me back to an iPhone... I only lasted 3 weeks with GSII. I don't wanna go through it over again. So I am resisting temptation... so far...

Oh... and to say iPhone fans never enjoy customization... have you ever seen a jailbroken iPhone with Winterboard or Dreamboard installed? Folder enhancer, FoldersinFolders, SBSettings, Lockinfo, etc.

Here is an video I made last year showing of my themed iPhone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSCibYoLnGQ

Upvote 0
Um... well... here is the dealio. I have owned every iPhone since they have come out. I know they are easier to use than Adndroid... but even though I am tech savy, I still prefer iPhone.

I have also owned at 1 time or another... the following Android phones:
T-Mobile G1
Moto Droid
Nexus One
Vibrant
Galaxy S II International

I always go back to iPhone.

I can't really disagree with you, though I haven't actually owned an Android product yet. I'm a current iphone user waiting for my Nexus. Android seems to be a tradeoff between things "just working" and having a more customizable phone. I'm hoping ICS shifts the balance enough for me to enjoy the phone. I do get get frustrated that my old Samsung Windows Mobile 3.0 (or was it 2) phone had more customizable features than my iPhone... but at the same time it was so buggy that I actively avoided using it, which goes to the point of things need to "just work."

Curious why you spend your time on Android forums though :)

Also to others: It seems to me that Apple is doing the 'smart' thing by making pretty phones that scratch/break easily. Never in a million years would I have thought that making a phone out of glass was a good idea... Samsung/HTC go with low-gloss, drab looking materials because they resist scratches better. People complain about the Nexus battery cover, but it seems to me a well engineered product that is super flexible, soft to provide some impact protection, and most of all lightweight.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Android seems to be a tradeoff between things "just working" and having a more customizable phone. I'm hoping ICS shifts the balance enough for me to enjoy the phone. ... which goes to the point of things need to "just work."

It's time to add a little reality to the perception. iPhones have their share of problems as do all electronic devices. While it is true that the iPhone does exceed other phones in some areas, It's interesting to note just how close the statistics are.

• The iPhone 4 was the most reliable phone, with 2.1% projected to have a non- accident malfunction in the first 12 months The major makers of Android devices, Motorola and HTC, were also very reliable, with just 2.3% and 3.7%.
  • BlackBerry and other smart phones were less reliable, with 6.3% and 6.7% failing in the first 12 months of use.
  • Accidental damage is responsible for over 75% of smart phone failures. BlackBerry devices had the lowest one-year accident rate at 6.7%, and the iPhone 4 had the highest at 9.4%.
  • The iPhone 3GS had the lowest overall failure rates, with just 11.7% failing over the course of a year, and the aggregated pool of other smart phones had the highest failure rate at 16.9%.

Original article.

Upvote 0
I can't really disagree with you, though I haven't actually owned an Android product yet. I'm a current iphone user waiting for my Nexus. Android seems to be a tradeoff between things "just working" and having a more customizable phone. I'm hoping ICS shifts the balance enough for me to enjoy the phone. I do get get frustrated that my old Samsung Windows Mobile 3.0 (or was it 2) phone had more customizable features than my iPhone... but at the same time it was so buggy that I actively avoided using it, which goes to the point of things need to "just work."

Curious why you spend your time on Android forums though :)

Also to others: It seems to me that Apple is doing the 'smart' thing by making pretty phones that scratch/break easily. Never in a million years would I have thought that making a phone out of glass was a good idea... Samsung/HTC go with low-gloss, drab looking materials because they resist scratches better. People complain about the Nexus battery cover, but it seems to me a well engineered product that is super flexible, soft to provide some impact protection, and most of all lightweight.

Thoughts?

You are exactly right. The all-glass and heavier i4s may look nice and feel solid and sturdy in the hand, but one drop on any hard surface and it's over, the entire phone is destroyed. Heavy metal frame + fragile glass on both front and back = not a very good idea for something that has to go in and out of your pocket 10 times a day. The high-grade plastic that Samsung and others use is a lot less likely to completely fail when dropped.

But of course, that is Apple's scheme of things. Apple caters to a teen a tween demographic, and we all know how kids treat their things sometimes. Every time one shatters, it's more money in Apple's hands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones