• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

from iphone to optimus

kofman13

Mar 7, 2011
i am iphone 3gs on t mobile user with edge data and im making the switch to either lg optimus V or M... not sure yet. but i read today that target has the optimus V for 129$ so that got me excited. also i realized that the V has 3G because of Virgin mobile and the metropcs version can only have 2G or 1x because of the network.

how is the data speed on the optimus V? when 3g drops do you at least have 2g?

I just moved over to Virgin from T-mobile. I tried the Optimus M on Metro PCS, and I've found that this one is faster due to the 3g. Data speeds seem pretty good. Haven't dropped the 3g yet, so can't comment on that.

I'm still trying to understand why it costs $150 with Virgin, and $240 with T-mobile, and $240 with Metro PCS. I guess Virgin is subsidizing the phone a bit more than the others.

Upvote 0
I just moved over to Virgin from T-mobile. I tried the Optimus M on Metro PCS, and I've found that this one is faster due to the 3g. Data speeds seem pretty good. Haven't dropped the 3g yet, so can't comment on that.

I'm still trying to understand why it costs $150 with Virgin, and $240 with T-mobile, and $240 with Metro PCS. I guess Virgin is subsidizing the phone a bit more than the others.

Actually right now metro has the optimus for $150 also, but after a $50 mail in rebate so that sucks.....

Upvote 0
Actually right now metro has the optimus for $150 also, but after a $50 mail in rebate so that sucks.....

True, but I don't like having to wait for the rebates. Also, at least for me, Metro PCS doesn't have good enough coverage for me, and the lack of 3G on that model clinched my choice of going to Virgin. Plus, Metro requires a $50/month plan on that phone, not the $40/month one.

Upvote 0
3G speeds are ok, depending on your area. A few people complain about 3G randomly dropping out (with no notification) and having to just turn data off/on to get it going again. I have experienced this as well. Speeds are inconsistent in my area (DFW - very populated, and extremely busy from a wireless standpoint). At some times they're solid, at other times they crawl.

Upvote 0
3g is fast enough for web browsing and streaming video and audio nicely. Not as good as 4g, but it gets the job done.

Actual 3g speed varies from location to location but generally speaking you should get 2-3x faster than dial up.

The best thing abou VM is that for $25 you get 300 minutes, unlimted data and no contract. Hard to beat. Heck for $40 you get 900 more minutes and for $60 you can go all day and all night if you want.

Generally speaking, the service pretty reliable since you are basically using the Sprint Network.

Upvote 0
3g is fast enough for web browsing and streaming video and audio nicely. Not as good as 4g, but it gets the job done.

Actual 3g speed varies from location to location but generally speaking you should get 2-3x faster than dial up.

The best thing abou VM is that for $25 you get 300 minutes, unlimted data and no contract. Hard to beat. Heck for $40 you get 900 more minutes and for $60 you can go all day and all night if you want.

Generally speaking, the service pretty reliable since you are basically using the Sprint Network.

I agree that for the money you cannot beat it,even though there are some issues.

Upvote 0
The 3G speeds seem decent to me. ESPN.com and CNN.com load pretty fast. It's noticeably slower than wifi, but really not bad.

I wouldn't pay three times as much to get Sprint's 4G service.

I live in Philadelphia and have a consistently strong 3G signal with no drops in the 1 month I've had the one. I've only seen it revert back to 1X when I am inside a large office building.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones